The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does composition of breast milk differ for male or female babies?  (Read 8500 times)

Offline pharmacist2030

• View Profile
I would like to ask if mother's milk who just delivered a baby boy contains more or double the amount of nutrients than a mother who delivered a baby girl? I have just read that in an article but I would like to know if that is true or it is just a hoax. Thanks
« Last Edit: 10/07/2012 08:52:32 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Maternity milk
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2012 11:59:25 »
A Male/Female difference sounds odd.

However, there is Colostrum that is is a special milk just after childbirth with more antibodies and proteins.than ordinary milk.

Offline pharmacist2030

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/07/2012 12:38:05 »
Thanks you very much Cliff for your reply, well I will tell you the story, I have read few days ago an article that claims that there was a case in one of the American hospitals that the nurse took two babies after their birth which were a male and a female,she forgot to mark them. therefore, she was confused which infant belongs to their mother. There was an argument between the two mothers, both mothers argued that the boy belongs to her. They tried to differentiate with a DNA test but they said that the DNA for both babies were very close ( I am not sure if that is true or not because I know that DNA test is very specific) Anyway, someone said take a sample of milk from both mothers and the milk which contains more nutrients in it will be a sign that the baby boy belongs to the mother with the highest per cent of nutrient in her milk.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/07/2012 17:30:17 »
Were these identical twin women that had the same lover, and got pregnant at the same time?  If so, they have bigger issues than arguing over who's baby is who's.

It would seem that such a milk test would be very imprecise.  What does more nutritious milk mean?  More fat? sugar? protein?

I'm not seeing much info on the internet.  I'm seeing one note about androgens (which can enter the maternal blood) causing less breast feeding (although it didn't mention milk production).  It mentioned that testosterone may help stop breast feeding.

Anyway, if the goal was to determine the sex of an infant, and one had either identical twin mothers, with either identical twin fathers, or the same father.  Or, perhaps in vitro fertilization from the same parents.  Then one could simply do a PCR DNA test on the mother's blood (within a short period after birth) to search for either the Y chromosome, or infant DNA which would still be unique even if both infants had the same father.

Offline pharmacist2030

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09/07/2012 14:13:55 »
Thank you very much for your answer Cliff. I really appreciate it, this what I thought from the beginning that DNA test is very specific to differentiate between them.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10/07/2012 07:32:00 »
Of course, one can look at blood typing to rule out some parent/infant pairs. 

Another way to determine the mother of an infant might be to look at blood antibodies.  The infant will have many of the maternal antibodies in the blood for a few weeks after birth. 

If the two mothers had different disease or vaccination exposures, they could have very different antibodies, and transmit these to the infant.

Offline tqatallah

• First timers
    • View Profile
Dear pharmacist2030

the link below may help answer your question

newbielink:http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/mom-dad/breastfeeding/breastfeeding-basics/breastmilk-different-for-boys-and-girls-says-research [nonactive]
newbielink:http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20101222/new-insight-on-benefits-of-breastfeeding [nonactive]

both articles refer to the higher levels in nutrients regarding male deliveries, taken from the original research published in Nature dec/2010.

i hope this helps
Peace

Offline RE.Craig

• View Profile
I would like to ask if mother's milk who just delivered a baby boy contains more or double the amount of nutrients than a mother who delivered a baby girl? I have just read that in an article but I would like to know if that is true or it is just a hoax. Thanks

What if a mother gave birth to mixed twins? I very much doubt that one breast had "Gold Top" on tap and the other "Semi Skimmed". lol...it must be a hoax. 
« Last Edit: 12/02/2013 18:27:23 by RE.Craig »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums