The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Meteor mega-hit spawned Australian continent  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Meteor mega-hit spawned Australian continent
« on: 04/06/2006 12:29:06 »
Meteor mega-hit spawned Australian continent: researchers

Fri Jun 2, 1:54 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A meteor's roaring crash into Antarctica -- larger and earlier than the impact that killed the dinosaurs -- caused the biggest mass extinction in Earth's history and likely spawned the Australian continent, scientists said.

Ohio State University scientists said the 483-kilometer-wide (300-mile-wide) crater is now hidden more than 1.6 kilometers (one mile) beneath the East Antarctic Ice Sheet.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060602/sc_afp/ussciencemeteor;_ylt=A0SOwmWYwoJEwmwA4w0PLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Meteor mega-hit spawned Australian continent
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2006 03:55:41 »
possible - maybe; LIKELY - No

The timing is the reason. It hit 150 million before it split the continent. Yet at the same time the meteor hit, North Anerica and South America were also starting to move away from Africa. They were well away by 150 million years later.

I will continue to think it was one of those coincedinces until much more data comes in.

The mind is like a parachute. It works best when open.  -- A. Einstein

Offline yalefreak92

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • http://http://www.myspace.com/imhot_windsor92
« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2006 08:25:24 »
hi.... im Charls I dont know what im doing..... Ummmm i love science and im 14 years old... I thought i had an advanced accelarated knowledge about science but reading about the forums you guys were talking about, screwed my mind.... I now realize that im dumb and stupid becase i never, never understand what you guys are doing i just feel so stupid.. IM SO SO SO SORRY... I want to go to yale but i cant anymore because im stupid Yale is too advance for me i even had a B twice in P.E> leading me with a yearly GPA of 3.917 yeah i know stupid P.E. i hate my self now... Well for any advised e mail me ihatemyself_windsor92@hotmail.com

charls Pasion

charls Pasion

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/07/2006 11:19:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by yalefreak92

hi.... im Charls I dont know what im doing..... Ummmm i love science and im 14 years old... I thought i had an advanced accelarated knowledge about science but reading about the forums you guys were talking about, screwed my mind.... I now realize that im dumb and stupid becase i never, never understand what you guys are doing i just feel so stupid.. IM SO SO SO SORRY... I want to go to yale but i cant anymore because im stupid Yale is too advance for me i even had a B twice in P.E> leading me with a yearly GPA of 3.917 yeah i know stupid P.E. i hate my self now... Well for any advised e mail me ihatemyself_windsor92@hotmail.com

Hi you very welcome and you are doing fine. Everyone who is encounters a learning opportunity feels just the same way. Confused, stupid, and overwhelmed. In fact if you are not experiencing this things you not learning you just staying inside you existing knowledge.

So you have a choice you can run and hide and avoid these feelings and avoid pushing your boundaries. Or you can see then as proof that you are a brave young person, exploring and extending your ever expanding edge of your universe.  

The people here only have more stuff in the heads and a little more incite into few more questions. But just like you they face all the same uncertainties when they encounter there limits of understanding. For myself the more I know, the more I know that I know very little. There is no end to it, so just stop measuring yourself to others and to the vast task the faces all of us. You are unique and special and have your own unique and special way in which to surrender to the task of playing with the mysteries of world around you. Just give into it and accept that you will never get to the end of it. Even Einstein died still confounded by his lack of understanding. Did it stop him? No way! That is what drove on.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 06/07/2006 11:19:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums