The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do birds peck at my tinted windows?  (Read 3049 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why do birds peck at my tinted windows?
« on: 15/07/2012 05:30:02 »
Rebone Sesoko  asked the Naked Scientists:

Dear Chris,

We have tinted windows on our house and find that in the morning and sometimes during the day, some birds peck on the windows. Why do they do that?

Kind regards,

Rebone

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/07/2012 05:30:02 by _system »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why do birds peck at my tinted windows?
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2012 06:11:37 »
They see their reflection and mistake it for another bird, (like the mirror in a budgie's cage).
« Last Edit: 15/07/2012 06:13:14 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #2 on: 15/07/2012 11:49:30 »
They see their reflection and mistake it for another bird, (like the mirror in a budgie's cage).

I would think that is the most likely answer, but it could be that they want to come in out of the rain to listen to a TNS Podcast.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/07/2012 20:43:37 »
To expand on RD's answer - some birds are very territorial - especially in mating season, so when they see another bird in their territory, they will attempt to scare it away by attacking it or pecking it.
They see "another" bird in the window reflection, and try to scare it away, only it doesn't seem to get scared away.

The test of being able to recognise onself in a mirror has been used as an intelligence test across multiple species. It has been passed by humans, apes, elephants and dolphins, and some birds. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_test

But often it takes some intelligence to construct the test in a way that is meaningful to the creature concerned.
« Last Edit: 15/07/2012 20:47:15 by evan_au »

Offline menageriemanor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2013 10:11:18 »
It can prevent these birds eating enough and/or even successfully mating. They can exhaust and dehydrate themselves, trying to see off their 'rival'. They can also be caught by passing cats or dogs, whilst distracted.  If you care for the birds, just paint over the window to a height the bird no longer notices, with flour and water, may have to be redone after rain, or sticky tape some newspaper, normally, just the bottom foot of the window, just for those few weeks.  I have also had to put paper bags over my side mirrors, every time I parked my car, for a month.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2013 10:11:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums