The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there a greater risk of dying on your birthday?  (Read 2596 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Daria Korochkina asked the Naked Scientists:

I have heard that the dying risk rises dramatically on your birthday, if it is really so, why? Are you supposed to be more anxious in such a day and thus your body is prone to fail you?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 18/07/2012 09:30:01 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a greater risk of dying on your birthday?
« Reply #1 on: 25/07/2012 00:02:32 »
There have been a number of Famous people who have died on their birthday, but that appears to be quite a short list compared to all the famous people in the world, and most of the people on that list don't even look like they are that well known.

Perhaps there are a few elderly people that make goals...  "I just want to live till I'm 80, or 90, or 100"...  and then once the goal is reached, it's all over.  And those that actually die within a week or so of their birthday are remembered.

Anyway, the chances of dying on one's birthday should be 1:365, or the same as dying on any other day.  There is a slight increase of risk of dying in the winter, so if one's birthday lies in January...  it may increase the odds of dying on one's birthday.

Anyway, unless I see statistics otherwise, I'll consider dying on one's birthday as being a reporting bias.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2012 20:39:01 »
"I just want to live till I'm 80, or 90, or 100"...  and then once the goal is reached, it's all over.

Maybe it's the bumps :)

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2012 23:48:52 »
If you use your birthday as an occasion to go out, get drunk, then drive home whilst drunk, I would say yes.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2012 23:48:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums