The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could dark energy account for baryon asymmetry?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline kenhikage

• View Profile
If baryons are attracted to one another, then wouldn't antibaryons be repelled from each other. Assuming that these particles are in clumps, the baryon-antibaryon interface could be the source of all this new space, i.e. dark energy, right?

Forgive my weak understanding of the subject matter. I'm willing to listen to the arguments, as long as there isn't too much math involved.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Could dark energy account for baryon asymmetry?
« Reply #1 on: 23/07/2012 17:38:40 »
Ken

First off - we don't know about the gravitational attraction (I presume you mean gravitational) between matter and anti-matter.  At present is it assumed that the 'force' will be attractive, just like normal matter.  we just don't have enough stuff to test it.  but theoretically and via thought experiments we postulate that antimatter has "normal mass" - ie in both inertial (how much force to get some of it moving) and gravitational (is gravity attractive) terms  that it is the same as bog-standard matter. 

A matter/anti-matter interface would be exceedingly bright and hot - the annihilation gives off energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation that will mainly be in gamma wave band. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Could dark energy account for baryon asymmetry?
« Reply #1 on: 23/07/2012 17:38:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums