The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are there colors we arenít seeing?  (Read 2005 times)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
Are there colors we arenít seeing?
« on: 22/07/2012 00:18:40 »
Our eyes can see around 10,000 colors. Are there colors that we arenít seeing?  Aren't there millions?

Can we only say Ďthe color spectrum looks like thisí because thatís all weíre able to see for it?

Why are there more colors than we can see? What organism is going to need all those colors nothing on this planet can see?!

Iím also interested if what HD cameras can see is actually what weíre missing out on. I have a favorite photographer and his videos and pictures always look so much better than just looking at things with the eyesÖ :{o~

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Are there colors we arenít seeing?
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2012 02:54:35 »
Actually, we only see about 3 colors with the 3 different types of cones that each respond to overlapping spectra. 

Voxx had recently asked a similar question about seeing in extended spectra.

www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=44537.0
www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=44593.0

with the EM spectrum containing everything from high energy gamma rays, to X-Rays to UV to Visible light to IR to microwaves to radio waves.

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2012 04:23:03 »
Darn. I figured this question wasn't original :{D~

How about this one, though: What decides the 'true' color of anything? Is it what humans are limited to being able to see, or is all of nature actually more colorful (and of more spectrums, like you said) and we're actually wrong when we name a color?

Basically, if we were all colorblind, are we right to say 'everything is factually black and white and we see more than any organism will ever see' when it turns out our eyes aren't perfect?

I'm just trying to imagine what the world really looks like through a 'perfect/every-spectrum-seeing' pair of eyes :{o~

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2012 09:07:11 »
Assuming you are a trichromat, then you can see the hidden symbols in various colorblind charts.
There is also a belief that there may in fact be tetrachromat humans.  Here is a color test for tetrachromats (at least in theory).  Presumably Pidgeons are pentachromats, and could learn to ace the test above.  I can just imagine the next Skinner test.

A red/green colorblind person can learn the names of the primary colors, use crayons, and etc.  And, may not realize the colorblind deficiency until they are presented with some kind of a colorblindness test.

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/07/2012 10:33:38 »
Tetrachromat. Yet another new word to me :{D~

I'm tempted to contact the person who wrote the page in that link, but it was written four years ago. I see the circle of dots on the left is red, the middle is orange, and the right is green. No symbols, though...

Whoops! Read it wrong. I'm not a tetrachromat. Sad day... :[

Even if the test is based on theory, it's pretty interesting. We should make perfect vision contact lenses so we can see all the colors most people don't see :]
« Last Edit: 22/07/2012 11:38:09 by ConfusedHermit »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 22/07/2012 10:33:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums