The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What holds space together?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline rocking_1987

• View Profile
What holds space together?
« on: 30/07/2012 14:17:55 »

I have seen the tons of videos and photos about the einstein space theory. In everything they will show that sun is creating a sort of hole shape and every planet moves on the surface of the hole. Just like a daredevil biker in a water well like structure.

I have one question, if the theory is right than what is the reason behind the tightness of the space? I mean you can only create the hole like structure in your bedsheet if you hold tightly on the corners of the bedsheet. Other wise bed sheet will not create the hole like structure.

Is it possible that anti gravity force on the edge of the universe is responsbile for the tightness of the universe? Is it possible that in the absebse of that force entire universe will collapse just like a bedsheet without any outer support or force on its outer layer?

If the universe is constantly expanding than how long the sun will be able to create the hole like shape in the universe?

I mean if you put a football in the bedsheet and force tightly enough there is a chance that football will no longer create the hole and just roll around the bedsheet.

PLease some one guide me on this question.
« Last Edit: 30/07/2012 20:45:03 by chris »

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
Re: What holds space together?
« Reply #1 on: 31/07/2012 07:39:55 »
Disclaimer - ****I AM NOT A SCIENTIST****

That being said, I always had the impression that spacetime merely existed as a result of the interaction between different units of mass/energy. That is, you can't have spacetime without mass/energy and vice versa. This is not based on any research evidence (hence the disclaimer) but just what makes sense to me.

I've often pondered over what it is that separates two different particles - what is this mysterious plane we call "spacetime"? It seems bizarre to me that even in a superdense neutron star, there is still "this" neutron, then a short "distance" later there is "that" neutron. The only thing I came up with was that the two neutrons are different, and therefore spacetime is created to illustrate that difference. Kind of like an enormous cosmic n dimensional graph.

I've gone way off subject, and possibly into the realm of "mumbo jumbo". We need a real answer by someone who knows.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/08/2012 03:00:02 »
Maybe you can turn it around?
We have two things matter and 'light/radiation'. A neutron star is made of touch and view able matter, the properties of matter is the Pauli exclusion principle which state that each particle of matter somehow reserve a defined 'place' in SpaceTime. You can't superposition matter upon itself as I know? And maybe they are the 'exact same', but with each of them having their own uniquely reserved position/space In our SpaceTime. As for what keeps a universe together and where its 'borders' might be, wish I knew. Personally I think that 'gravity' defines the 'space' we can measure in, so? And Gravity is still a mystery, although there are ideas about how 'mass' can come to be.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 02/08/2012 03:00:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums