The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the trampoline analogy for the bending of spacetime inaccurate?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Photon11

• First timers
    • View Profile
I have read and thought that the common trampoline diagram (pictured below) of the bending of spacetime is not very accurate, because spacetime is not two dimensional.

Is this a more accurate representation of the bending of spacetime by mass?
« Last Edit: 01/08/2012 00:36:48 by Photon11 »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Neither diagram is very accurate.  Space-time is 4 dimensional, and those pictures are 2D and 3D, not 4D!  I guess the 3D one is one dimension "closer," though that doesn't make it accurate.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Neither diagram is very accurate.  Space-time is 4 dimensional, and those pictures are 2D and 3D, not 4D!  I guess the 3D one is one dimension "closer," though that doesn't make it accurate.

Not sure I would discount it that much. The Earth orbits the Sun in a plane that is pretty much two dimensional (three including time), so the rubber sheet analogy works fairly well. My brother had to have rubber sheet too, but this might not be the best place to discuss that.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
You are right JP, but I think it does give a visual illustration of John Wheeler's famous line - 'Matter tells space how to curve. Space tells matter how to move.'

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length