The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do females EVER try to impress males?  (Read 3426 times)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
Do females EVER try to impress males?
« on: 03/08/2012 15:42:24 »
When you research courting in the animal kingdom, it's always the male trying to impress the female. My questions are:

1.) Excluding humans, are there any examples where it is the female's instinct to impress a potential male?

2.) Are there any examples where both the male and the female are trying to impress one another, and if they both aren't happy, they move on to try someone else?

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
Re: Do females EVER try to impress males?
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2012 02:59:21 »
1) Yes. The pipefish species Nerophis ophidion and Syngnathus typhle both exhibit female competition over males. In N. ophidion, the females are larger than the males and males tend to choose larger females. In S. typhle, the females can change their color to impress males. In both species, females are less choosy than the males.

2) I'm not sure about this one. It seems to me that a candidate for such a system would be a species that was dedicated to monogamy and both parents took great care in raising of the offspring. In such a case, both being mates of good quality would be desired as it would heavily affect the likelihood of offspring development and survival.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2012 08:54:48 »

You could say that pheromones are nature's way of females to tell males "I'm available".  For many males, it doesn't seem to take much more than a whiff of a female in heat to make them come running.  And, at least with dogs, the females apparently will do anything for "a night on the town"  when in heat.

I think Supercryptid may be onto something.  It may depend on how many offspring one has at a time, and whether it is a monogamous relationship.  So, dogs don't seem to discriminate much, and can have multiple puppies with different fathers.  Species with monogamous relationships, and a single offspring at a time might invest more in a mutual partnership.

I would wonder if the female dogs discriminate which males they have a submissive posture with when playing.

Apparently penguins, while usually paired, some of the females actually have extramarital affairs.

And, I see that some females in the animal kingdom apparently have learned to have sex for favors, including monkeys that have been taught the use of tokens, then some of the monkeys apparently spontaneously started using the tokens for sexual currency.  It gives new meaning to the oldest profession.

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2012 22:21:03 »
Interesting stuff. Thank you for the responses :]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2012 22:21:03 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums