The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy 7 inch pad connecting for navigation on the move?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Good day, I just got a 7 inch Galaxy pad and want to navigate, maybe skype call on the move. I need advice on how to make wi fi hotspots, and to see if it will connect via a Nokia 120 c mobile bluetooth. Either that or I am going to have to get a new sim card to use a Nokia e71. I can get the mobile broadband sim card going in the 120 c but not the e71, nor my e 63. There are no USB ports or sim card ports on the tab pc.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
You can pick up free hotspots at certain coffee shops and bookstores.  ATT had tried to charge for hotspots, so airports are a bit of a mixed bag.  And, many motels provide WIFI hotspots. 

If you are cruising in the car, most personal WIFI networks are locked, so you may be out of luck.

I got an HP Veer 4G Cell Phone that is supposed to support a "mobile hotspot". 
However, I have "network" with T-Mobile & can use E-mail and etc, but unfortunately T-Mobile seems to block the hotspot function.  There is probably something "extra" that I'm supposed to purchase.  Ahh, I see notes that I'm supposed to pay an additional $15 / month to unlock the tethering/mobile hotspot feature, although it is supposed to be free with certain "unlimited" plans.  I can't make heads or tails of their website.  I guess it is time for a phone call tomorrow.

Here is a note about unlocking the mobile hotspot feature on the HTC Incredible phone with Verizon.  One might be able to do it with it if one was an occasional user of the services.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Portland, Oregon had tried an experiment with free WIFI.
But, apparently it didn't last.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/06/portlands_wifi_network_coming.html

It says that it was supposed to be ad supported.  But, I don't remember seeing any of the ads when I had browsed the web a few years ago.  Perhaps providing good stable WIFI networking, and ads wasn't too compatible. 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... If you are cruising in the car, most personal WIFI networks are locked ...

In the UK, British Telecom domestic Wi-Fi can be locked, but by default has an open backdoor ... http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=28045.msg294715

Bear in mind that connection to public Wi-Fi networks is unencrypted,
so others nearby can easily eavesdrop, ( unless you use an encrypted VPN ).

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-VPN-for-Public-Wifi-Security
« Last Edit: 05/08/2012 15:30:19 by RD »

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Second hand pocket wifi is very cheap on ebay.

Some navigator apps only use GPS by satellite and on board memory of maps.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums