The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Has the scientific community accomplished maintaining and accelerating a torus?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline mikec

• First timers
    • View Profile
A torus vortex flow such as a smoke ring can be seen in many physical systems. In air a smoke ring can be made. In water a vortex ring bubble can be made. A Bose Einstein condensate evaporates, or collapses into a vortex ring. Using a system that maintains a vortex with the ability to accelerate the vortex I have been able to study this physical phenomena. In researching a torus flow I have been unable to confirm replication of this process by any other research.
Has the scientific community accomplished maintaining and accelerating a torus in a flow system?

Offline William McCormick

• View Profile
A torus works much like a drag chute works. A human being can actually survive rather nicely with a very small parachute if it is designed right.

A drag chute uses a small hole in the center of the chute to take the over pressure inside the parachute and turn it into velocity through the small hole in the top center of the chute. This high velocity air, pulls the chute upward if you are falling down, by creating negative pressure above the chute. Relieving the pressure in the chute also keeps the dome like high pressure bubble from forming under the chute. Causing it to be less streamlined.

The torus smoke ring converts the pressure behind the torus, to velocity through the center of the torus.

The pirates old ripped up sails used to actually give them an advantage in certain situations.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Offline mikec

• First timers
    • View Profile
thanks... sir William McCormick

Aerodynamics was my favorite...

The torus to which I am referring to would be that of a donut shape.
To visualize this imagine a donut shape lying horizontally like a donut lying on a table. Now imagine cutting the donut in half. Looking at a half you see ends where the donut was cut ~ the ends are circular ~ the rotation is in this direction and follows these circular paths and creates an internal axis.
If you look down on the donut from above ~ you would see little rotation clockwise or counter clockwise.
I am able to accelerate this torus to rather HIGH rpm's...

my problem is this... I can't further the research because I can NOT find any other similar research where this has been accomplished...

thanks  Michael Cole

• View Profile
If you are positively accelerating a smoke ring, you need more pressure behind it. That increases the velocity of the air through the donut hole. And causes the inside of the torus the surface in contact with the air in the hole, of the torus, to move in the direction, the smoke ring is traveling.

Sincerely,

Willam McCormick

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 10/08/2012 21:14:20 by RD »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Try Google Scholar: http://scholar.google.com.au/
with words like: torus fluid flow

• View Profile
... In water a vortex ring bubble can be made.

by whales ... http://www.bubblerings.com/bubblerings/videos/24a-humpback-ring.wmv

by inventor ... http://www.bubblerings.com/bubblerings/media.cfm#videos

The water torus bubble, is propelling itself with buoyancy. The bubble in water torus, has the opposite internal movement, compared to a smoke ring torus. Because the smoke ring is being pushed, by air behind it, and the water torus bubble, is pushing itself through the water.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums