The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cheltenham Science festival  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Douger9999

• First timers
    • View Profile
Cheltenham Science festival
« on: 09/06/2006 13:16:52 »
Hello all

I visited Cheltenham science festival yesterday, and had a great couple of hours wandering around, and viewing the exhibits. A really great day, with lots to learn.

My one query though is about one of the exhibits. The festival was partly sponsored by Pfizer. Pfizer had a robot on display called Oscar, who did seem uncanny with his speech and conversational ability. I am dubious if all was as it appeared to be, or was Oscar in essence a remote microphone and camera, relaying signals back to a human with a microphone and control console.

Has anyone else seen this robot, and does anyone know if Oscar is a 'trick' or is he a robot, who can actually hold conversations with humans - if so I am amazed.

My reasons for suspecting a trick are
-   The robot had a regional accent
-   It seemed too human

Regards

Doug

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: Cheltenham Science festival
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/2006 09:45:14 »
I have seen "intelligent" radio controlled robots like this several times and many years ago.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!
« Last Edit: 10/06/2006 09:45:34 by Soul Surfer »

Offline Ultima

• View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 10/06/2006 12:40:28 »
Hey Douger9999 I'm from Cheltenham :) I hope you had fun in the sun!

I have a feeling you were duped :( sorry!
http://www.oscartherobot.com/default.htm

I'm an AI student and can tell you right now any robot that can hold its own with a human for longer than a couple of minutes is most certainly tricking you in some way. Through psychology tricks or asking you questions without really engaging you etc. Itís not hard to give someone the impression of intelligence but it is really hard to make something intelligent!

If the robot wasn't hooked up to some uber computer sitting next to it, then its even more likely it was tricking you to. At least the kind of robots they would get for Cheltenham ;)

I'm away staying in Plymouth at the moment. Is the Science festival on until August?
« Last Edit: 10/06/2006 12:41:51 by Ultima »

Offline Douger9999

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2006 08:15:08 »
I had great fun in the sun, thanks.

The more I think and research about it, the less plausable the whole thing seems. I think you're right, it was a trick. I just wish I had a radio scanner and mini transmitter, so I could block the 'controller' and make the robot say whay I wanted him to say.

The festival was from the 7th to the 11th June, so I am afraid you have missed it now. Though it is on tour I think, so you could perhaps catch up with it somewhere else.

Regards

Doug

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2006 08:15:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length