The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do plasma screens interfere with each other?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why do plasma screens interfere with each other?
« on: 15/08/2012 05:30:01 »
Kavitha Ramanna  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi,

I have a 50 inch plasma HDTV on one side of the wall , when I tried to keep another HDTV on the other side of the wall the picture on the second tv is getting distorted.. Any idea on how to avoid this problem?

Thank you

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/08/2012 05:30:01 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why do plasma screens interfere with each other?
« Reply #1 on: 15/08/2012 07:46:48 »
That is very odd.

I've had very good luck with LCD computer screens, including using two of them next to each other.

And, in a previous office where I worked, we had CRT monitors.  One near a large transformer had serious distortion, and another on the opposite side of the wall from a microwave had distortion problems.  The distortion was fixed by replacing them with LCD monitors.

Are you sure your TV is plasma, and not a projection TV? 
A different TV might do better, but might be too expensive of an option.

What about trying to make an EM shield.  Perhaps aluminum foil on the wall behind the screen?.  Notes indicate that it may need to be grounded.

Another thought, are the two devices plugged into the same circuit?  Perhaps try plugging on device into a separate electric circuit.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/08/2012 15:01:15 »
Yes it sounds like some kind of Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) problem.

All displays use radio frequency signals, and when they're close together (even through a wall) in some cases the two circuits can interact in unforeseen ways.

As Clifford says, a (preferably) earthed metal sheet (foil may or may not be sufficient) between the two will often (but not always) cure it, or just move them further apart.

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2012 23:13:47 »
Can the poster give any more description of the nature of the "distortion" - or even a photograph (picture speaks 1000 words and all theat)?

Geometric distortion? Colour distortion? Picture breakup? "Interference" / ripples/waves/ light/dark bands...   Does it occur on all programmes (eg directly off an aerial) or only when the programme comes from a set-top box etc etc.

Are the sets interconnected at all, eg both connected to same sat-box/DVD/video etc?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2012 23:13:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums