The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Charge Is An Antimatter- Matter Explosion ?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
What Charge Is An Antimatter- Matter Explosion ?
« on: 15/08/2012 13:26:48 »
Dearest Matterologists,

As  a sheepy I of course luff Antimatter-Matter Explosions !..Out of all the explosions available Antimatter-Matter ones are my all time fave ! Top notch to the bloke who invented Antimatter-Matter explosions who we all know was by Mr Q.U.Antumspin in 1927. His family still live and when I offered them remuneration for their granting of accreditation within this post they said "no charge"....well..that was nice of them wan't it ?

So ewe got your basic matter that is like well positive !...and then ewe have your basic Antimatter that is like well negative yes ?...they're the main two eh ?

I went through my pockets and guess what ?...I'm fresh out of antimatter !..I knocked on my neighbours door at 3am this morning and he has run out too so (pending my delivery from "Antimatter R Us" )I have substituted as a representation the next best thing !

One Positive Sheep and One Negative Sheep About To Annihilate Each Other Earlier Today.

So , my kweschuns are Ö...What Charge Is The Explosion In An Antimatter-Matter Explosion ?
Is there any debris left ?..If yes....What Charge Is It ?

They are sheeposed to destroy each other yes ?...ewe got postive and negative...they go bang bang and make sum noize !...explosion happens...!!..

If ewe can help me by answering this kweschun I would be ever so grateful in a way that demonstrates gratitude. If ewe canít answer it...don't worry...it donít ď matterĒ  *le groan*

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

neil
Nothing Really Matters
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: What Charge Is An Antimatter- Matter Explosion ?
« Reply #1 on: 15/08/2012 15:11:35 »
The output is pure energy but this can appear as particles.  Electron - positron collisions are the best known and they are very useful because you can control the amount of energy in the bang by controlling the energy of the particles as they collide and having just the right amount available to make a particle antiparticle pair of different sorts of particles, you can make "factories" that generate the sort of particles you want to observe.  OK they may be quite rare because the bangs are mostly gamma rays but you get lots more than the LHC can do.

Even so soon after it has been found there are people working out how to build an electron - positron colliding Higgs boson factory in place of the LHC.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/08/2012 15:53:56 »
The output is pure energy but this can appear as particles.  Electron - positron collisions are the best known and they are very useful because you can control the amount of energy in the bang by controlling the energy of the particles as they collide and having just the right amount available to make a particle antiparticle pair of different sorts of particles, you can make "factories" that generate the sort of particles you want to observe.  OK they may be quite rare because the bangs are mostly gamma rays but you get lots more than the LHC can do.

Even so soon after it has been found there are people working out how to build an electron - positron colliding Higgs boson factory in place of the LHC.

Thank you Ian. Doesn't the energy have a charge too ?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15/08/2012 16:53:17 »
The net result of essentially everything is NEUTRAL.

So, take a (negative electron) + (a positive positron), and logically (-1) + (+1)  = 0 charge.  The resulting photons are all neutral.

Likewise with a (positive proton) + (negative antiproton), logically (+1) + (-1) = 0 charge and a lot of neutral photons.

So much in physics works out neutral.

Consider Nuclear Fusion of neutral hydrogen (proton + electron)

0cbafce45f18dd5efe8e29a1837e7bef.gifH + 0cbafce45f18dd5efe8e29a1837e7bef.gifH ==> d893654f5f24409552aea32998f3771e.gifHe  (2 protons, 2 electrons)  ==> 7ef06d7f357c993487c0f1cec7558a8a.gifH + e- + e+

So, when the second proton in d893654f5f24409552aea32998f3771e.gifHe spontaneously releases a positron from the nucleus to form a neutron, the newly formed 7ef06d7f357c993487c0f1cec7558a8a.gifH Deuterium also looses one of the electrons from the electron shell, and everything remains neutral. 

Then eventually the positron will destroy an extra electron (not necessarily the same one that the Helium lost), but the end result is still NEUTRAL.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/08/2012 18:45:55 »
The net result of essentially everything is NEUTRAL.

So, take a (negative electron) + (a positive positron), and logically (-1) + (+1)  = 0 charge.  The resulting photons are all neutral.

Likewise with a (positive proton) + (negative antiproton), logically (+1) + (-1) = 0 charge and a lot of neutral photons.

So much in physics works out neutral.

Consider Nuclear Fusion of neutral hydrogen (proton + electron)

0cbafce45f18dd5efe8e29a1837e7bef.gifH + 0cbafce45f18dd5efe8e29a1837e7bef.gifH ==> d893654f5f24409552aea32998f3771e.gifHe  (2 protons, 2 electrons)  ==> 7ef06d7f357c993487c0f1cec7558a8a.gifH + e- + e+

So, when the second proton in d893654f5f24409552aea32998f3771e.gifHe spontaneously releases a positron from the nucleus to form a neutron, the newly formed 7ef06d7f357c993487c0f1cec7558a8a.gifH Deuterium also looses one of the electrons from the electron shell, and everything remains neutral. 

Then eventually the positron will destroy an extra electron (not necessarily the same one that the Helium lost), but the end result is still NEUTRAL.

Thank ewe very much CliffirdK

I was blissfully unaware that one could have neutrality like that. Does that mean if some positive or negative energy met with some neutral energy that the neutral energy would either not be affected or would it take on the charge that it has interacted with ?

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16/08/2012 13:05:37 »
"Conservation of charge" is a useful principle in physics, along with a few others like "conservation of Energy" and "Conservation of Momentum". Physicists regularly apply these rules to deduce the existence of particles that they cannot see directly, like Neutrinos.

Conservation of charge says that the amount of charge going into a reaction is the same as the charge coming out of a reaction.

So if the charge going into a matter-antimatter explosion is unequal, the charge coming out of that reaction will also be unequal. For example, an anti-proton (charge: -1) colliding with helium nucleus (charge: +2) will have a debris field with a total charge of +1.

In nuclear physics, energy is often released as gamma rays or other forms of electromagnetic energy. These photons are neutral, ie energy with no electric charge (0). It is possible for photons to interact with particles with an electric charge, and again, the total charge going into the reaction is the same as the charge coming out of the reaction.

There were some other proposed conservation "laws" that turned out to be violated by the weak nuclear force - this discovery won a Nobel prize. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_violation   

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16/08/2012 17:30:46 »
Although the case of an electron and positron annihilating into a gamma photon is simple what happens when the packets of quarks and gluons that we call protons and anti protons annihilate this must be much more complex as the mass of the protons mostly resides in the energy of the gluons.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16/08/2012 22:54:59 »
"Conservation of charge" is a useful principle in physics, along with a few others like "conservation of Energy" and "Conservation of Momentum". Physicists regularly apply these rules to deduce the existence of particles that they cannot see directly, like Neutrinos.

Conservation of charge says that the amount of charge going into a reaction is the same as the charge coming out of a reaction.

So if the charge going into a matter-antimatter explosion is unequal, the charge coming out of that reaction will also be unequal. For example, an anti-proton (charge: -1) colliding with helium nucleus (charge: +2) will have a debris field with a total charge of +1.

In nuclear physics, energy is often released as gamma rays or other forms of electromagnetic energy. These photons are neutral, ie energy with no electric charge (0). It is possible for photons to interact with particles with an electric charge, and again, the total charge going into the reaction is the same as the charge coming out of the reaction.

There were some other proposed conservation "laws" that turned out to be violated by the weak nuclear force - this discovery won a Nobel prize. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_violation   

Thank ewe evan_au . Gosh !..I am learning stuff !....So, there are varying degrees of charge too !...May I ask (if ewe know)..what determines the amount of charge ?

Thanks again !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 16/08/2012 22:54:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums