The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I treat my Plantar Fasciitis?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How can I treat my Plantar Fasciitis?
« on: 15/08/2012 13:30:01 »
Vernon Chalmers  asked the Naked Scientists:
Hey guys
I have had Plantar Fasciitis for around 6 months now; I first had it one day in winter when I was caught out door with trainers on, the weather changed and the temp dropped drastically and the pain started, from then I have sat with my feet in warm water, stretched and massaged at least 5 days a week, the pain stops for a day or two and then comes back with a intense burning.  

The Dr said I must stretch and massage but it's not working.  Any idea?  I train weights but this happen when I had taken 3 months off, now back at gym but I find no help through training.
The pain is all round the heal, the day it started on the inside of the heal of my left foot, now it's mostly in the inner arch but when I put a massager on it it's all around the heal and down the foot.
The last week for no apparent reason it fleers up and burns so much it's like stepping on hot coals, and I do know how that feel after accidentally standing on some many years ago.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 15/08/2012 13:30:01 by _system »

Offline Ezrida

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How can I treat my Plantar Fasciitis?
« Reply #1 on: 16/08/2012 06:03:56 »
There are many things you can do to treat your plantar fasciitis. I had plantar fasciitis for about a year and I discovered that treatment is individual. Things that work for one will not always work for the other. The good news is that you have many treatments you can try but you must be persistent and patient. For me it was taping that accelerated my healing
I have found a good plantar fasciitis treatment review website in:
newbielink: [nonactive]
There are many self care treatments ideas in there but I think you should consult a podiatrist before you do something.
Icing or cold therapy is used to reduce inflammation so if you want to reduce your pain symptom you can apply ice. I prefer to roll a frozen water bottle.
Take care

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/08/2012 12:19:17 »
Nice link, Ezrida.  I am inclinced to agree that you need to try things and see what works for you.

I have found changing which pair of shoes I wear frequently helps, as does self massage with a squash ball (and a particualr dog toy that is too difficult to describe!) - but will be trying the frozen bottle.

I also found insoles have helped (Following advice from a sports physio I got some "66fit D3D orthotic insoles" from - which are good as they have different fits depending on the arch of your foot)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 16/08/2012 12:19:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums