The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the higgs boson an actual particle?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline bmore_ravens

• View Profile
Is the higgs boson an actual particle?
« on: 17/08/2012 07:50:18 »
I heard about the discovery of the higgs boson and wanted to learn more about it. But when researching it an article mentioned something about it being an energy field, but the article didn't provide clear answers. Can someone please explain the higgs boson to me in full detail?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is the higgs boson an actual particle?
« Reply #1 on: 17/08/2012 14:09:21 »
I heard about the discovery of the higgs boson and wanted to learn more about it. But when researching it an article mentioned something about it being an energy field, but the article didn't provide clear answers. Can someone please explain the higgs boson to me in full detail?

Can someone please explain the higgs boson to me in full detail? No I am pretty sure no one in the world knows the higgs in full detail.  :-D

Your confusion is arising due to a part of physics called Quantum Field Theory.  Particles can be seen as excited states of fields - and excited states of fields can be treated as particles (the excitation of the electromagnetic field is the photon).  The Higg's field is postulated as a non-zero field which permeates all of space - it is the interaction with this field that causes particles to acquire mass.  The first and smallest excitation of the Higg's Field is the Higg's Boson.  So the detection of the Boson is evidence for the existence of the field

Offline bmore_ravens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2012 07:32:12 »
Thank you, your answer was much more clear than the articles I've read online.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 18/08/2012 07:32:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums