The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: hiccups when eating bread  (Read 39513 times)

Offline jam

• View Profile
hiccups when eating bread
« on: 10/06/2006 05:07:58 »
when I eat bread / toast in the morning I get the hiccups.  Occassionally I get it through the day but only when I eat bread.  This doesn't happen when I eat other foods for breakfast.  Does anything spark your hiccups and do you know what is causing this annoying habit. [}:)]  I hear so many excuses as to what causes hiccups

:)[/font=Andale Mono][/font=Arial Black][/font=Courier New]

Jam

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Re: hiccups when eating bread
« Reply #1 on: 10/06/2006 10:36:58 »
Maybe you should listen to your body. It tell you something but your are not baying attention to the message.  

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline jam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/06/2006 07:35:13 »
Thanks Hadrian, but my body says so much at the moment, which one is it telling me!!

Hopefully it's just that I shouldn't be eating bread!  

It's funny that I can eat other floured foods and still drink a beer (yeast) and not get the hiccups.  

All too confusing but still probably so simply of a reason?

Jam

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 12/06/2006 11:24:49 »
Could it be as much about when as what.  Maybe the problem is that it is breakfast, and you are eating on an empty stomach with your body not quite awake.

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/06/2006 12:26:30 »
Unless you made the bread yourself you canít be certain what is in it, or what was put in to what it made of before it got to the bakery. It could be anything including the packaging it came in.  Many types of bread have mould inhibitors that donít seem to work inhabiting anything except drying.  I have often left two pieces of bread out in the air. One I made my self and another shop bought. Both were yeast made white breads. My bread just gets hard and dry and no mould but the shop stuff get mouldy after two days but also stays soft.

The more I look into processed foods the more I cook my own.

Offline upton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/06/2006 13:35:10 »
could it be because bread is stodgy and takes longer to travel down the throat ?

~~~I can't think of a signature~~~

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12/06/2006 13:50:33 »
NO.  hiccups are nothing to do with the eating action as such.

Offline upton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/06/2006 14:03:17 »
Thanks. I said so because sometimes when I eat a stodgy food it gives me hiccups too.

~~~I can't think of a signature~~~

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/06/2006 14:10:34 »
That sound more like a learnt reaction to being made to eat something you did not want to.

ROBERT

« Reply #9 on: 12/06/2006 14:37:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian

NO.  hiccups are nothing to do with the eating action as such.

I disagree Hadrian:-

" Sudden rapid stretch of the mechanoreceptors in the proximal oesophagus
 can trigger the hiccup reflex in normal subjects. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9414962&dopt=Abstract
« Last Edit: 12/06/2006 14:39:02 by ROBERT »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/06/2006 14:54:22 »
"been suggested" is just saying out loud what someone thinks and that fine by me but that is all it is. I am glad you disagree at least you have an point of view all be it based on  someoneís suggestion.

This does not rule out a psychological effect being involved. It simply indicates a trigger.  

« Last Edit: 12/06/2006 15:01:43 by Hadrian »

ROBERT

« Reply #11 on: 12/06/2006 17:57:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian

"been suggested" is just saying out loud what someone thinks and that fine by me but that is all it is. I am glad you disagree at least you have an point of view all be it based on  someoneís suggestion.

The link I posted above was to an experiment , not a "suggestion".
4 of the 10 subjects developed hiccups: this evidence convinces me that
 eating which distends the stomach/oesophagus can cause hiccups, i.e. your statement that :-
" NO. hiccups are nothing to do with the eating action as such." is incorrect.

The following is a suggestion:-
"JAM" should chew his/her toast thoroughly and drink plenty of fluid with it to avoid hiccups.

« Last Edit: 12/06/2006 18:01:51 by ROBERT »

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12/06/2006 22:53:52 »
Do you know if the people knew they were part of an experiment about hiccups?
Do you know if the were screened for how sensitive they were to such an experiment?
Did the experiment rule out all other allergic reactions?
Was there a control group used?
Do you feel 10 people is a reprehensive sample of the human race?
What data was given about what had been digested before the experiment say in the previous 72 hours?
What medical histories were taken regarding each person who was selected?
Who made the selection?
On what bases were participants selected?
How many people were ruled out and why?
What psychological profiling was under taken on the participants?
Is there any credited study anywhere to support their findings?
Did this study from part of any academic or professional accreditation requirement?

All that said I may well be wrong and this may prove to be the only way you can get hiccups. After all who am I to disagree with such a complete study of such staggering proportions?

Thank you for pointing out my error.

« Last Edit: 12/06/2006 22:56:31 by Hadrian »

Offline jam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13/06/2006 12:54:43 »
Well I've thought long and hard as to why this is happening and still not sure as to why my hiccups come only with bread and usually in the morning

Maybe now it is phsycological and I'm expecting it to automatically occur that I am bringing it on myself?!? I think when I curse under my breath about the stupid hiccups they ease off or go away.  I will have to have bread for breakfast tomorrow and think these thoughts!

Chewing my food was interesting and to much amusement, my husband laughs, as yet another thing I nag him about, "chewing before he swallows!"  How ironic that I may be perceived as bad as he!

Do you think this could be contageous like YAWNING  that's right I said yawning, when you stretch yourself out take a loooong slooooow deeeeep breath - stretch and relax and YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN..............  YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN..............  YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN..............  YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN.............. YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN..............  YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN.............. YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN..............  YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN.............. YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN..............  YAAAAAWWWWWNNNNNN..............

[:0][:0][:0][:0]

Did I get anyone to yawn yet?!

Goodnight and see you when I get back on line in a couple more weeks to check out the latest theories on, well nearly everything!

Jam

ROBERT

« Reply #14 on: 19/06/2006 18:25:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by jam

Well I've thought long and hard as to why this is happening and still not sure as to why my hiccups come only with bread and usually in the morning

Maybe now it is phsycological and I'm expecting it to automatically occur that I am bringing it on myself?!? I think when I curse under my breath about the stupid hiccups they ease off or go away.  I will have to have bread for breakfast tomorrow and think these thoughts!

Chewing my food was interesting and to much amusement, my husband laughs, as yet another thing I nag him about, "chewing before he swallows!"  How ironic that I may be perceived as bad as he!

Goodnight and see you when I get back on line in a couple more weeks to check out the latest theories on, well nearly everything!

Jam

Before you undergo years of expensive pschoanalysis to cure your hiccups :),
 you should note that some breads contain bicarbonate of soda (a.k.a. baking soda)
 as a raising agent, (it produces CO2 when mixed with acid).
If your bread hiccups are accompanied by belching then sodium bicarbonate may be to blame:
 it would produce CO2 gas when mixed with stomach acid, the gas would distend the stomach triggering hiccups, (and probably produce belching).

PS
Sodium Bicarbonate may be listed on ingredients as "E500".
« Last Edit: 19/06/2006 18:41:20 by ROBERT »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 19/06/2006 18:25:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length