The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What’s The Equation For Quenching Your Thirst ?  (Read 4676 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

Dearest Thirstologists,

As a sheepy I of course quench my thirst. Quenching my thirst is all I think about it and when ever I am thirsty, quenching it is my all time favourite thing to do. Quenching thirst was invented in 1898 by that well known Artist Damian Thirst. If it wasn’t for him we’d all be very thirsty.

Look, here I am quenching my thirst just moments ago.

Me quenching my thirst just moments ago

I’d like to know a few things about thirst quenching if I may ?

Is there an equation that describes the satiation of thirst ?

First ewe imbibe the liquid refreshment and then the process starts yes ?  As ewe drink......  the sensation of thirst diminishes at a rate that I guess is governed by how thirsty you are yes ? There is a definite transition from thirst to satiation.

What is governing the change of sensation ?

I also understand that although the sensation changes the actual beneficial effect of imbing comes much later !....so....I presume that there must be some kind of level indicator in our belly that communicates with the sensation indicator even though our body is not using the refreshment yet efficiently.

How does that work ?...and how long does it actually take (after drinking) for the liquid to replenish the body thoroughly ? Is there an actual equation that describes this ? Cos there ought to be and it should be required reading too !

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Fancy A Drink ?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps: I guess the same applies to hunger too ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
Re: What’s The Equation For Quenching Your Thirst ?
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2012 02:20:58 »
BTT

I'm willing to entertain speculation!

I am actually surprised.....Surely someone somewhere has done a study into the nature of quenching thirst ?...If not *slaps hand on table* Why not ?

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2012 04:29:48 »
I believe there are osmotic receptors right in the hypothalamus, so as soon as your blood returns to the right concentration the message probably gets shared with your conscious brain fairly quickly that you no longer feel thirsty and can stop drinking now.
« Last Edit: 05/09/2012 00:28:42 by cheryl j »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31/08/2012 05:18:35 »
Apparently Sheep, and Sheep-Dogs use different fountains.

One can always drink more water than one NEEDS.

Is it only humans that drink so much that we have to take extra trips to the bathroom?  It seems common to try to convince animals that they should drink, but one can't always convince them.

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/09/2012 04:19:16 »
It also matters what you drink.
  • If you drink sea-water (much saltier than blood), then you end up thirstier afterwards.
  • If you drink alcohol, your kidneys flush it out with lots of water, so you also end up thirstier afterwards.
  • But pure water is not the best, either! Adding a small amount of salt & sugar helps with absorption in people with diarrhea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy#Basic_solution

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/09/2012 18:52:22 »
I believe there are osmotic receptors right in the hypothalamus, so as soon as your blood returns to the right concentration the message probably gets shared with your conscious brain fairly quickly that you no longer feel thirsty and can stop drinking now.

Thank ewe cheryl  :)

The message gets through very quickly indeed !......does it really get absorbed into the bloodstream that fast ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/09/2012 18:58:11 »
Apparently Sheep, and Sheep-Dogs use different fountains.

One can always drink more water than one NEEDS.

Is it only humans that drink so much that we have to take extra trips to the bathroom?  It seems common to try to convince animals that they should drink, but one can't always convince them.

I think I prefer the sheepy water fountain. Thanks Cliff.

Humans intentionality drink more don't they ? whereas ' animals ' drink for necessity.......mind ewe !!...do ewe think 'animals' could have their behaviour changed to enjoy drinking socially ?.....I've only seen alcoholic slugs and they were ex-slugs !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/09/2012 19:00:51 »
It also matters what you drink.
  • If you drink sea-water (much saltier than blood), then you end up thirstier afterwards.
  • If you drink alcohol, your kidneys flush it out with lots of water, so you also end up thirstier afterwards.
  • But pure water is not the best, either! Adding a small amount of salt & sugar helps with absorption in people with diarrhea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy#Basic_solution

Thanks evan_au. Those are very interesting facts, I guess this is why those energy drinks have a concoction of vitamin salty goodness !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/09/2012 19:01:04 »
I'm still interested to learn if there is an equation for satiation of thirst !...or if there is not  ?

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07/09/2012 00:22:07 »
Sorry Neil, don't have any useful answers for you, just more questions.

But this made me think of a Far Side cartoon in which a dog is "filling up" at the hose before "roaming the neighbourhood with his buddies". Is this a consideration for animals like dogs who use urine as a form of communication? Do they have one thirst for hydration and another for when they need to say something?

What about sheep?

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07/09/2012 02:34:16 »
What do you mean by equation? Hypothalmic sensors respond to sodium concentration in blood. Angiotensin II which is produced when blood volume drops is also a powerful thirst stimulator. Are you asking how far sodium concentration or blood volume has to deviate from normal before the craving first is consciously recognized?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 07/09/2012 02:34:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums