The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is cannabis the most efficient photosynthesiser of all plants?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Alexander Dowding  asked the Naked Scientists:

Is it true that Cannabis sativa L. is the most efficient photosynthesiser of all plants? I recently read that in the online article that I've linked to, but they do not provide a reference to back up their claim.

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/154347

I know from personal experience that the cannabis plant grows with extreme vigour and speed under optimum conditions. Would using an IRGA (Infra-Red Gas Analyser) be the best way to determine the cannabis plant's rate of photosynthesis to then be compared with that of other plants known to have very high rates of photosynthesis?

Alex Dowding

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 22/08/2012 14:30:01 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Algae is supposed to be one of the fastest growing "plants".

Hemp is supposed to have some tremendous properties, although it is difficult to get the government in the USA to recognize the difference between low THC Hemp, and high THC Marijuana. 

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Alexander Dowding  asked the Naked Scientists:

Is it true that Cannabis sativa L. is the most efficient photosynthesiser of all plants? I recently read that in the online article that I've linked to, but they do not provide a reference to back up their claim.

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/154347

I know from personal experience that the cannabis plant grows with extreme vigour and speed under optimum conditions. Would using an IRGA (Infra-Red Gas Analyser) be the best way to determine the cannabis plant's rate of photosynthesis to then be compared with that of other plants known to have very high rates of photosynthesis?

Alex Dowding

What do you think?

Wouldn't weight be the easiest way to measure the photosynthesis power of a plant - if you control for the amount of water then gains in weight are carbon tied up into the structure of the plant. Hemp does grow like anything when it has great light. 

Hemp is supposed to have some tremendous properties, although it is difficult to get the government in the USA to recognize the difference between low THC Hemp, and high THC Marijuana. 

My university failed to see the funny side when I had a 200kg bag marked A1 Grade Hemp delivered to the Union building - I was summoned from lectures to explain myself.  It was rope for the stage

Online chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
Reminds me of the question put to toxicologist John Henry by Ali G: "So, does class A guarantee quality?" in an interview about drugs!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums