The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why does swinging something feel good?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
Why does swinging something feel good?
« on: 23/08/2012 04:26:59 »
I look at many sports, martial arts and even games with motion control, and think about why we get pleasure out of swinging things (aside from their actual purposes).

For example, as a kid I liked finding a good stick to swing around as if it was a sword. Sure it was fun to pretend I was a swordsman, but the actual sensation of swinging sticks felt good. I can think of many other examples and how they feel, and this still makes me wonder.

Is there some sort of primal pleasure or release in us for swinging things? :{o~

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why does swinging something feel good?
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2012 14:50:27 »
A really good question - and one to which I wish I had an answer.  Whenever walking on the fells or in the forest I will find a stick to swing, my keys are on a length of paracord in order to be swung etc...

I think it is the perfect rhythm that a swinging pendulum marks - we recognise it at a low subconscious level as something correct, exact, and desirable.

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2012 18:45:50 »
These are my crazy theories from personal experience:

- The weight of something swung only takes the first bit of force, then it carries itself and we get the nice feeling of wind resistance on our swing, and finally slow it down at the end so it doesn't fly out of our hands. So there's a feeling of being strong as well as being in control of something we touch (because we naturally love to touch things).

- The sound of the swing. I LOVE the whip against the air and the variety of sounds things make depending on what you swing. A baseball bat sounds different from a golf club. And swords are just great if you're a fan of movies and games that have them.

- Primal defense mechanisms wanting to come out again? Like when we threw a rock, then swung a stick, then put a sharp rock on a stick? We are violent little creatures, after all. :{o~

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/08/2012 19:18:57 »
perfect excuse for a time and motion study !  ::)

If you physically detach yourself from the thing being swung  do you feel a commensurate sensation when watching a pendulum ?

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/08/2012 02:28:33 »
Hey, make your own thread >:{o~

Man you have a lot of posts.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/08/2012 02:35:35 »
Hey, make your own thread >:{o~

Man you have a lot of posts.

what ?....I can't reply to posts ?.....  ;);D

After nearly 9 years...one accrues a post or two !  ;)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/08/2012 03:09:10 »
Sorry, I couldn't understand what your post meant :{o~

Seemed like you were asking me that pendulum question. I'm no expert! Which is why I'm here :]

Could you please explain what you meant about physically detaching oneself from what's being swung? And, well, I never think about a pendulum. I think of sports, martial arts, and sticks! :{D~

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26/08/2012 03:49:53 »
Sorry, I couldn't understand what your post meant :{o~

Seemed like you were asking me that pendulum question. I'm no expert! Which is why I'm here :]

Could you please explain what you meant about physically detaching oneself from what's being swung? And, well, I never think about a pendulum. I think of sports, martial arts, and sticks! :{D~

No apology needed. My fault for not communicating it adequately.

I was just wondering if a comparable sensation may be received when just watching something swing rather than when one is swung or when you swing something.

I did not mean to appear to be hijacking your excellent thread........I was just hoping to add to it  :)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26/08/2012 12:48:36 »
Okay :{D~

Well, there is a huge interest in sports, martial arts and games in cultures all over the world. Not only participating, but just watching. Action and martial arts movies are a good example, too.

Maybe the sensation is similar, but... For me, I think more of that cultural appeal has to do with 'rahh violence' and 'whooaa kung fu' than just the swinging aesthetic. I don't find myself watching pendulums much, though. Maybe I should try it :{o~

I wish I was a mocap guy, because that's actually a pretty good way to compare the physical swinging and watching swinging. Motion capture suits are used in games, and a common one is for swinging weapons. Does the mo-cap guy get more enjoyment out of his motions than the player when the game is finished?

Here are some examples just for fun:
Simple:
Accurate:
Crazy:
feature=plcp

Whoever watched those, did the swinging appeal to you more just by watching? I'd be with the nerds swinging like goofballs in the third video :{D~

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 26/08/2012 12:48:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums