The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Sweetness After A Savoury ?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Sweetness After A Savoury ?
« on: 25/08/2012 19:40:00 »
Dearest hors d'oeuvreologists !

As a sheepy I of course enjoy many courses in a banquet. This is demonstrated when out on a date. A quick kebab in the back of a cab (she pays of course) and then off to her place for a meaningful one night relationship !...And who says romance is dead ?....sheesh !

When, though,  partaking tea with her royal maj she puts on a right royal feast of yummy deliciousness.... normally commencing with a variety of starters which are savoury, a main course that is also (for the most part) not OTT in the sugar department and then some desserts which are sweet !!

Look, here a starter, a main and a dessert !

A starter, a main and a dessert just moments ago.

Nice eh ?...being delivered next Tuesday. Amazing what ' meals-on-wheels ' deliver nowadays

So, is it conditioning ?..are we programmed to want a sweet after a savoury ?...Is it consistent with all cultures ? It's a human thing yes ?....I don't see my cat digging into a Tiramisu after a bowl of cat food !

whajafink ?

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah !!

Neil
A Banquet Of Kings When Ewe're Out With Neil
Cos Ewe'll Be Paying The Restaurant Bill
Expect My Appreciation Like Ewe Would From A Lover
Cos When Ewe Turn Around Ewe'll see I've Done A Runner !!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lol...kwality poemage there and ewe know it !!

« Last Edit: 25/08/2012 19:41:47 by neilep »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why Sweetness After A Savoury ?
« Reply #1 on: 25/08/2012 23:48:34 »
Perhaps a degree of postprandial hypoglycemia : too much insulin released in response to the main meal causing a drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia) which causes the person to crave sugary sweet stuff.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/08/2012 02:42:29 »
Perhaps a degree of postprandial hypoglycemia : too much insulin released in response to the main meal causing a drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia) which causes the person to crave sugary sweet stuff.

well....I'm convinced !!..  ;)......Thanks RD !

I have all those symptoms too....with exception of the coma......I'm hardly ever asleep let alone comatose

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2012 17:27:25 »
Could eating sweet things after a meal slow-down uptake of sugars, compared to eating them on an empty stomach? (This is often said about drinking alcohol with a meal, compared to drinking alcohol on an empty stomach...)

Would reducing a sugar spike mean that it will have a reduced impact in pre-diabetic people? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impaired_glucose_tolerance)

Or maybe it's just our limited memory? We tend to remember the most recent thing more clearly, and if that was sweet, we have better memories of the whole meal?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/08/2012 22:55:00 »
Mom always said....  "EAT YOUR DINNER BEFORE THE DESERT!"

Children, of course, would be happy with just the sweets, and skipping the savoury.

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/08/2012 00:07:45 »
I too succumb to society's need for sugar last thing at night. I find it encourages me to brush my teeth before bed.

A slightly similar question is why it's considered bad for a child to have chocolate before breakfast? I would have though that if they're going to eat chocolate, that would be the best time! They have more chance of burning the energy off if they have it as early as possible.

There seems to be this culture that says that the thing that is bad for you has to be the last thing you eat before bed, I'm not sure why. Maybe I should start having ice-cream on my cereal instead of after dinner.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 28/08/2012 00:07:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums