The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Do hunger strikers drink water?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline lunar11

• View Profile
Do hunger strikers drink water?
« on: 27/08/2012 02:16:18 »
I have heard of protesters etc going on hunger strike and not consuming food for over weeks or even months. But, surely they do have to drink water?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do hunger strikers drink water?
« Reply #1 on: 27/08/2012 05:37:51 »
Some people have survived a week or two after being trapped in the rubble after an earthquake, but they may have had access to some water (or cola) ...
Authorities say it is rare for anyone to survive more than 72 hours without water, little alone more than two weeks. But Etienne may have had some access to water from a bathroom of the collapsed home, and rescuers said she mumbled something about having a little Coca-Cola with her in the rubble.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/27/darlene-etienne-teenage-g_n_439421.html

A good job it wasn't rola-cola ...
:)
« Last Edit: 27/08/2012 05:41:22 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/08/2012 06:00:14 »
There are different types of hunger strikes.

Virtually all of them will drink water.  As RD mentioned, one can not survive for long without water.

Some will also drink broth, or other liquid food supplements. 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/08/2012 06:24:16 »
some people must be telling pork pies* about how long they've gone without food and water ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmuheen

[ * maybe eating some too, on the sly ]
« Last Edit: 27/08/2012 06:28:12 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/08/2012 01:03:26 »
Some foods such as fruits and berries can contain a significant amount of liquids, and might allow a person to drink less water. 

Certainly if a person  has low activity level, then one could have low caloric intake...  but I would be suspicious about a person that claims to not eat anything, but admits having a few snacks.
She is quoted by the Correx Archives as saying, regarding how much she eats:

"Generally not much at all. Maybe a few cups of tea and a glass of water, but now and then if I feel a bit bored and I want some flavour, then I will have a mouthful of whatever it is I'm wanting the flavour of. So it might be a piece of chocolate or it might be a mouthful of a cheesecake or something like that."

I did meet an elderly patient in a mental ward that claimed that he did not need to eat, but unfortunately I didn't follow him in the long-term, so I don't know what ultimately happened to him.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 29/08/2012 01:03:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums