The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Any big changes going on in our solar system?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
Any big changes going on in our solar system?
« on: 04/09/2012 13:42:21 »
I was curious if there was any word on how our solar system is going to look in the next *long period of time*?

Any planets expected to leave us? Anything getting close to colliding with something else? Any chance of a new planet joining the group?

Just from what we can observe so far, of course :{o~

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: Any big changes going on in our solar system?
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/2012 16:07:19 »
Try this one Are we wobbling today? And then enjoy atoms are getting bigger? :)

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/09/2012 17:19:47 »
Oooh. Now there's a fun thought. Sure, we'll likely be dead and gone in 3 billion years, but Earth and Mars colliding...

I wonder what that'll look like once it's settled back into a single sphere. I imagine brown forests, purple oceans, and red deserts! :{D~

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/09/2012 20:33:47 »
You might read about the Nemesis Theory

However, to date no large object on a long, very eccentric orbit has been found orbiting around our sun. 

New, undiscovered comets are found quite frequently.  How big can a comet get?  The size of Jupiter?

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/09/2012 08:34:54 »
I love how so many of our names and terms in astronomy come from mythology or science fiction. I'd want to be the 'names guy' who just names everything the real scientists find. That would be fun

The idea of a comet the size of Jupiter is scary as hell. Out of curiosity, can a comet have its own orbit if it's big enough? Or would it be moving too fast for anything to be drawn to it?

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07/09/2012 10:24:39 »
If the solar system were disturbed into a chaotic state, that certainly would be a modern apocalyptic vision of astronomical proportions:
  • On the one hand, the Earth could be robbed of its angular momentum, and plunge into the Sun
  • Or on the other, the Earth could gain angular momentum, and be flung out into interstellar space

That certainly puts a different spin on a couple of earlier apocalyptic visions:
...they were thrown alive into the lake of fire... Revelations 19:20 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rev%2019:20&version=ESV)
...they will be thrown into the outer darkness...  Matthew 8:12 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matt%208:12&version=ESV)
« Last Edit: 07/09/2012 10:49:57 by evan_au »

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07/09/2012 13:15:02 »
Whoa :{O~

So, I get why being flung into the sun is bad, but what would be so bad about the planet being flung into interstellar space? Would it just become too cold since we wouldn't be close enough to our sun?

Or would we die even before then; like spin so fast that we all get flung into the sky?

Edit: I forgot to ask! What exactly causes a 'chaotic state?' Is there evidence this is going to happen to our solar system at some point?
« Last Edit: 07/09/2012 21:47:15 by ConfusedHermit »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07/09/2012 22:24:50 »
There is a simple mathematical formula for the orbit of two objects (like one planet around a star), and this is stable.

However, as soon as you have 2 planets around a star, it gets a lot more complicated. Except for a few special solutions such as the ones discovered by Lagrange, the "3 body problem" has no stable solutions, so the orbits change chaotically (randomly) over time.

It is now known that a solar system like ours with a number of planets will be chaotic in the long term, even without external influences. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability_of_the_Solar_System

Discoveries of exoplanets have shown a large number of "hot Jupiters", where a planet the size of Jupiter is orbiting closer to its star than Mercury. Theories of planetary formation suggested that Jupiter-sized planets should form much further out.

However, in a chaotic planetary system, a Jupiter-sized planet passing close to a smaller planet could fling the smaller planet further out, dropping the giant planet closer to the star. (In extreme cases, the smaller planet could be flung right out of the system.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Jupiter#Terrestrial_planets_in_systems_with_hot_Jupiters

Offline waytogo

• View Profile

Offline ConfusedHermit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09/09/2012 23:08:40 »
Thank you for explaining that, Evan :{D~

And waytogo, I'm glad you noted it wasn't necessarily 'doom' what's going on with the moon in that link.

If things continue as they are, what's the moon's future? I wasn't specific in my first post, so we don't have to be here either. So, in the next *long span of time* ?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 09/09/2012 23:08:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums