The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are Prawns Good For Me Or Not ? A Cholesterol Kweschun !  (Read 10952 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Prawnologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff prawns. (US TRANSLATION SERVICE  "Prawn" = "Shrimp".....Sheesh !!)  Prawns are my all time favourite crustacean type prawny things that are prawn in flavour size and appearance.

Here's me enjoying some prawn !

I've Always Wanted To get Into Prawn

Nice eh ?

Ok, so, me luffs prawns muchly...According to the packet it says they are like well low in fat !...this is good news !.....however, despite the ascendance in positivity of such wondrous gospel I've also heard that regardless of the low fat content they are full of cholesterol !!..well..excuse me but the last time I saw a prawn looking like an egg yolk was.....well......never !!

So, ...what's it all about then ?...Can I eat prawns every day as a low fat food and NOT increase my cholesterol or what ?....if I can eat em what kind of cholesterol do they have inside them then ?

Cos, I don;t know and ewe do !

I'm incandescent with rage about this and will sit here holding my breath until I get my answer !

whajafink ?

Hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah !!

Neil
I'm A Hard Core Prawn Addict
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are Prawns Good For Me Or Not ? A Cholesterol Kweschun !
« Reply #1 on: 05/09/2012 20:57:48 »
From what I recall, the latest research has shown that its mostly saturated fats that raise cholesterol, not the actual cholesterol in the food we eat.  Our bodies are good at converting saturated fat into bad cholesterol. 

Eggs and shellfish, which are high in cholesterol, but low in saturated fat, are now supposed to be healthy(er) than they were, and healthy in moderation.

Of course, given that chocolate, coffee and alcohol are all now healthy in moderation, I'm reminded of this:

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05/09/2012 21:24:51 »
From what I recall, the latest research has shown that its mostly saturated fats that raise cholesterol, not the actual cholesterol in the food we eat.  Our bodies are good at converting saturated fat into bad cholesterol. 

Eggs and shellfish, which are high in cholesterol, but low in saturated fat, are now supposed to be healthy(er) than they were, and healthy in moderation.

Of course, given that chocolate, coffee and alcohol are all now healthy in moderation, I'm reminded of this:

*Gasps for breath*....Thank YOU JP !!........excellent..I can eat my prawns all day every day !!..YAYYY !!

Lol.....great clip !..........my brain is my most second favourite organ and tobacco is good for you !!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/09/2012 23:59:40 »
... tobacco is good for you !!

For those who have Parkinson's ...

... scientists have identified a chemical in tobacco that may explain why smokers are statistically less vulnerable to Parkinson's disease.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000329081250.htm

and bowel disease ...

ulcerative colitis has a lesser prevalence in smokers than non-smokers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulcerative_colitis#Management
« Last Edit: 06/09/2012 00:02:23 by RD »

Offline martinau

• Live strong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/06/2013 21:08:14 »
Prawns cholesterol is not bad for you as a human body can not fully absorb the fats from this shellfish and prawns cholesterol, in its turn, does not raise your own cholesterol levels. Rest assured that prawns cholesterol should not be on your foods to avoid list and could be savored with pleasure. Shellfish contains a wide range of minerals and vitamins essential for your immune system. You can search for more cholesterol information here: newbielink:http://loweringcholesterolguide.com/category/diet-meal-plans/ [nonactive]
« Last Edit: 14/06/2013 10:11:40 by martinau »

Offline shagydeep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/06/2013 06:41:35 »
Hello,
Yes of course prawns are always good for health.... ;)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29/06/2013 07:55:16 »
Only two things can kill you:

Not enough of what you need, or

Too much of what you like.

You choose.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 29/06/2013 07:55:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums