The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is required to sustain nuclear fusion?  (Read 4546 times)

Offline jaiii

• View Profile
What is required to sustain nuclear fusion?
« on: 07/09/2012 10:35:57 »
Hello

I would like to ask for this experiment:

produce plasma of deuterium and tritium.
 Injected into the toroidal core and spun it with a strong magnetic field with angular velocity 1E9 Hz.
 It is thus possible to achieve nuclear fusion?
 And if not what other conditions need to be added or what needs to be modified?

Thank you very much.
 Goodbye.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2012 21:43:27 by chris »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: nuclear fusion
« Reply #1 on: 07/09/2012 19:12:32 »
Toroid would have to be pretty small.  Any radius over about 20 cm would lead to plasma needing to travel at speed of light.

By the way angular velocity is measured in radians per second -> 1 * 10^9 rotations per second is the ordinary frequency

Offline jaiii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/09/2012 08:41:14 »
So the angular velocity must be much smaller.
 A frequency Hz can be very easily converted to rad / s
 omega = 2 * pi * frekvenicia.
 Can you write what further changes need to be added to the model?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09/09/2012 12:49:45 »
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokamak

It's not a simple question. It's a combination of QED QCD and high energy particle physics

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2012 12:31:13 »
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawson_criterion

This article has a nice graph that shows that a Deuterium-Tritium mixture fuses most easily near 300 Million degrees. I hope your toroid is well-insulated...

Offline jaiii

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2012 17:18:43 »
Thank veri much for information.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: What is required to sustain nuclear fusion?
« Reply #6 on: 12/09/2012 09:20:50 »
Cold fusion seems interesting. A lot of people researching on that. Not only this 18 hour test excludes combustion. but a lot of renown people from all fields of science, and countries. Don't know what will come of it though but it would be real nice, if working?
==

Those of you interested in the ideas of a 'cold' beginning of the universe should follow the links there. It's interesting reading those guys discussing if it is a fraud, or not. And if true, gives some substance to other ways than 'hot' Big Bangs, saw an article in where some theorized about a Big Bang without that infinite heat, as I remember it, (Australian)?
« Last Edit: 12/09/2012 10:01:14 by yor_on »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2012 11:29:45 »
Yoron - I think Ing. Rossi has been shown to be lacking in the power generating possibility.  He is increasingly shying away from any controlled tests and most of the alternative energy community have decided to ignore him until he ponies up with a bit of concrete proof. 

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27/09/2012 23:50:04 »
Can you link me to it Imatfaal? I'm curious :)

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/09/2012 20:42:43 »
Will have a dig - no promises, it was several months ago. 

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28/09/2012 20:45:07 »
have a read of this one - I am not sure if this is one I remember, but I think this was the damning report or at least linked to it
http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2012/Report-4-Rossis-NASA-Test-Fails-to-Launch.shtml

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30/09/2012 04:23:06 »
Clearly confusing :) No surprise there though. But the statement that http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/07/12/uppsala-university-denies-rossi-research-agreement/ is not strange. Upsala university is a institution, and will not allow itself to be drawn into this sort of controversy. The guys going over did it as private citizens, not as representatives of the Upsala university, as I understand it. I doubt any reputable university, anywhere, would have responded differently to that type of question. But here you have http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_miljo/energi/article3111124.ece where they interviewed the individuals invited to se a demonstration.

Offline MarkPawelek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31/08/2014 18:16:46 »
Maybe nuclear fusion is just a waste of money? An expensive way to award physicists with their Nobel prizes.

Watch Bogdan Maglich [nofollow].

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31/08/2014 19:06:44 »
I always thought that nuclear fusion was a way of keeping ex soviet nuclear physicists amused so that they did not go and work for rogue countries like Iran or Israel.
« Last Edit: 31/08/2014 19:09:04 by syhprum »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23/09/2014 00:52:51 »
Try this one.. http://www.journal-of-nuclear-physics.com/?p=510

I expect it to become a race between finding new sources of energy, renewables, fission, and global warming.

And I'm starting to feel as if there isn't that much time left to experiment on either, not if we go by this article. http://motherboard.vice.com/read/if-we-release-a-small-fraction-of-arctic-carbon-were-fucked-climatologist and combine with Hansen et al latest papers about where ice disappear geologically, although what they studied is the opposite, at what ppm Earth first got constant ice layers, staying all year around.

Their paper sets the border at 450 ppm, and we're at 400 now. He does not concern himself with a 'methane bomb' in that paper, although he do mention it in his book, stating that methane reservoirs now are more filled than at the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETM

450 ppm seems more of a Tipping than anything I've heard of, if they are correct.  Methane is a secondary problem though, with CO2 being our primary. Then again, methane releases from shallow waters and tundra won't make it any easier to solve.
==

Also, the wiki on PETM makes it almost sound positive, which I do not agree too. The same guys editing there should then be the ones telling me that a isolated enclosed dome is a perfectly sustainable solution to how we can continue to evolve on earth. Which is one of the most stupid suggestions I've seen.

what p*ed me of was this "The increase in mammalian abundance is intriguing. There is no evidence of any increased extinction rate among the terrestrial biota. Increased CO2 levels may have promoted dwarfing[34][35] – which may have encouraged speciation. Many major mammalian orders – including the Artiodactyla, horses, and primates – appeared and spread around the globe 13,000 to 22,000 years after the initiation of the PETM.[34]"

Sounds like a tropical paradise, doesn't it :) Ah well..

Here's something more interesting. http://news.rutgers.edu/research-news/new-finding-shows-climate-change-can-happen-geological-instant/20131003#.U_FvO-NdXl7
« Last Edit: 23/09/2014 01:41:37 by yor_on »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23/09/2014 07:51:37 »
Maybe nuclear fusion is just a waste of money? An expensive way to award physicists with their Nobel prizes.

Watch Bogdan Maglich.

It's a way of exploring infinity by experiment. When the first fusion reactor was built in the 1950s we were promised "free electricity in 5 years". The promise is no longer free and the horizon is now 25 years. So there are two infinities involved, and the research question is whether the technology disappears over the event horizon before the money runs out.   

Experience shows that two things are very effective in bringing technology to fruition: profit and war. Right now the easy profit is in making useless wind farms, so you have a choice: world peace or nuclear fusion. 

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26/09/2014 00:11:44 »
hmm :)

Beware of mixing PETM ( the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum) with PTME ( Permo-Triassic mass extinction), two different extinction events, although the acronyms used, sound more or less identical. Anyway, as I wasn't fully happy with the wiki I've tried to find one source more.  The Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #16 on: 26/09/2014 00:11:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums