The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Human Trust  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
Human Trust
« on: 13/06/2006 02:34:07 »
It is amazing as to just how trusting the human species is. It is part of so many actions and interactions...! Other animals lack this greatly. Chimps for example lack trust. Trust in needed for civilisation...

Titanscape

another_someone

Re: Human Trust
« Reply #1 on: 13/06/2006 12:13:20 »
Not sure where you get the notion that no animal but humans are capable of trust.  Most dog owners would consider that their dogs show great trust in them.  In fact, most pets, or domestic animals, will show some trust in those who care for them, but probably dogs are exceptionally so.

Chips, like humans, are social animals (albeit, they live in much smaller social groups, but then early humans also lived in smaller social groups), and have personal relationships with other members of the group that require as much trust as any human relationship.

Any animal where the parent(s) provide support for the young must have a relationship of trust between parent and child.

George

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/06/2006 23:17:58 »
yes, that is a broad generalization. our trust is nothing in comparison to a pack of wolves.

just like usual, humans are no exceptional animal

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2006 21:10:16 »
I think it's true to say that most wild animals do not trust humans; nor do many trust others of their own or other species. However, there are plenty of examples of animals relying on one another's actions to survive.

Take meerkats as an example. They post sentries who act as lookouts while others tend the young. If those tending the young didn't trust the sentries, that system would never work.

Chimps when hunting rely on each other to take appropriate action at the appropriate time. They "trust" that the others will perform their duty. Without that group trust they would not be able to hunt in the manner they do.

Then there are wild creatures that seem to have an innate trust of humans - dolphins, for example; or even the robin in your back garden. Normally we would refer to this behaviour as "tame", but whatever name you give it there must be an element of trust involved.

Brand new forum at
http://beaverlandforum.y4a.net
More than just science

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20/06/2006 22:25:02 »
I once heard that Robins just have more guile than other birds..because they have to..

As for Humans having trust....hmmm...for me, being a right cynical git, trust needs to be earned either by display or personal experience, though I might tend to think that humans, although understand the nature of trust are inherently wary of each other.....but then...I may be projecting my personal prejudiced there.

However, as mentioned , I think (in MY opinion) that the rest of the animal kingdom do display trust, or if not natural in theirproclivity can  mostly be tamed to display trust towards humans....

..as George states... domestic dogs just go ahead and display unconditional trust....as well as other household pets....(perhaps apart from a pet Hippo :D...as they are rude and never close the fridge ) they of course have no cognitive comprehension of the nature of trust, which, even for us, is just a term used to describe a feeling of integrity and reliance.

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 20/06/2006 22:25:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums