The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do you reformat a computer that's running pre-activated software?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I run my computer with a pre activated OEM windows 7 system disk with Microsoft recognizing the resulting system as activated.
After a failed attempt to set up a XP32 partition I found the computer would no longer boot so I had to resort to a boot repair disk that brought it back to life.
Unfortunately Microsoft no longer saw the system as activated and demanded a large sum of money within thirty days my only alternative seemed to reload the system from scratch and re install all the programs a laborious task.
So I reformatted the partition upon which I had installed XP32 and installed a basic windows 7 system a half hour job and thankfully that restored recognition of the the activation of the main system.
« Last Edit: 13/09/2012 08:12:32 by chris »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Activation problem
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2012 03:36:53 »
... After a failed attempt to set up a XP32 partition I found the computer would no longer boot so I had to resort to a boot repair disk that brought it back to life. Unfortunately Microsoft no longer saw the system as activated and demanded a large sum of money within thirty days ...

I believe there is data in the MBR (disc signature ?) which the OEM version of Windows OS uses to check it is "genuine": i.e. running on the licensed machine.

The disc signature in the MBR can be erased and consequently the OEM windows OS will then consider itself not running on the licensed machine, (not genuine), even though it is.

Moral: If you have OEM version of Windows make a backup which includes the MBR.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mbr+backup+windows
« Last Edit: 13/09/2012 03:44:46 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2012 06:05:17 »
Many thanks, the more you learn about computers the more you find there is to learn !
I now see why my method of restoration worked and incidently I was lead to a HEX editor such as I used to use on the Siemens IBM360 clones 40 years ago that may be useful in the future.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/09/2012 07:14:00 »
Vista's* MBR Disk Signature ... http://www.multibooters.co.uk/mbr.html

[* and Windows 7 ]

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I went to my spare computer and screwed up the MBR with the aid of HDhacker so that it would not start and then ran the repair module on the system loader USB dongle and was surpised to find that the activation came back.
I think I will get a second mortgage and buy a Mac
I use the Dualboot PRO boot manager on my regular computer but not on the spare as it only has one partition on one 80Gb drive which might account for the difference.
« Last Edit: 13/09/2012 11:18:26 by syhprum »

Offline nicephotog

• H h H h H h H h H h
    • View Profile
    • Freeware Downloads
Since when is a large sum of money required for "activation" or "genuine" testing? , you do those online and it may take 5 minutes or so but that sounds like you have malware or spyware afflicting the machine.

As for the master boot record (mbr) thats common to lose proper contact during a failed install of an OS setup disc whether win or Linux. And common to get it back if the next attempt runs according to plan.

Win OS's often will see an older win version and put in a chooser for which to actually boot to alike Linux, but Linux attempts to put all of them in for a boot choice so its a good one for putting onto the HD last.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums