The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Awaiting Hybrid Success  (Read 1255 times)

Offline TechTalk

• First timers
    • View Profile
Awaiting Hybrid Success
« on: 14/09/2012 09:32:59 »
Hi there I have recently started a new blog and we try to cover a wide range of topics pertaining to technology.
I felt that some of you may be interested to read one of our articles on the upcoming hybrid computers.
Here is the link:

MOD EDIT - THIS IS IN BREACH OF THE AUP; POSTING HERE MERELY TO PROMOTE ANOTHER WEBSITE IS UNACCEPTABLE. BUT IF YOU RETURN AND MAKE A MEANINGFUL CONTRIBUTION TO THIS SITE, THEN WE MAY RECONSIDER.

Please give it a read if you have the time, I would love some feedback on the article.
Thanks
« Last Edit: 15/09/2012 13:05:43 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Awaiting Hybrid Success
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2012 07:30:52 »
I had always thought that a laptop/tablet convertible hybrid would have a lot of potential.  I know that several manufacturers have tried the technology including some old, clunky IBM Thinkpads with tablet touch-screens from at least a decade ago.  I've also seen some very much underpowered Windows CE devices.  And, a few years ago, the HP TC1000. 

I do think they would have utility in certain settings, for example perhaps doctors taking chart notes in the exam room using the touch screen interface, and then using the laptop interface for more complete writeups back in the office.  I would make sure they had a good camera included (I would add photos to chart notes), including both front and back (or side) cameras.

However, in many cases, tablets and laptops seem to be diverging.  Very light tablets are popular for E-readers, and perhaps occasional web surfing.  I don't know, I guess I haven't gotten one yet.  Personally I haven't gotten very good with touch-screen gesture typing, although perhaps I just need more practice.

Laptops tend to be useful more production typing, including e-mails, and tend to be somewhat heavier than the tablets.

Anyway, if Dell is scoping out the technology, I would certainly look at how well the competing machines are selling before investing a lot into the venture.  Of course, it may be useful if they market to a small, but influential group of users.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Awaiting Hybrid Success
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2012 07:30:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums