The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The Photon as Pure Energy  (Read 8850 times)

Offline acsinuk

• View Profile
    • electricmagnofluxuniverse.blogspot.com
Re: The Photon as Pure Energy
« Reply #25 on: 22/10/2012 17:54:10 »
So a photon is a packet of mass-less vibrating electromagnetic energy.  So what is a virtual photon?  To define that you will need to get your head around what magnoflux is.
CliveS

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24/10/2012 20:46:15 »
Interesting arguments :)

'Energy' seems to me to be observer dependent. A photon is? I'm not sure, observer dependent too possibly? As we don't necessarily need to agree on position/time for a annihilation? Treated as a excitation in a field, the field then must be observer dependent too. A field is a neat way out of the particle/wave duality, especially if we treat what we see as observer dependent, meaning defined through its relations (as I see it at least:)

As for it having energy I totally agree, Einstein called it a 'energy quanta', if I remember right, but it has some other properties too, as its polarization/spin, And if I would define something directly measurable as, as close to the concept of 'energy' as possible, then it would be a photon. But the energy in a photon, accepting red and blue shifts, is in direct relation to the detector. Meaning that the 'energy' measured, (and that is science, what is measurable) is a relation.

And treating it as a relation fits the 'field concept' very well, as I feel for now at least. If I would assume a 'static field' of some magnitude creating the 'ground' for interactions in it, we then would need some parameters more allowing us the observer dependence, and those seem to be the arrow (time) 'relative motion', accelerations, and 'c' the light constant. Or you can assume a fluctuating field too, but I expect us to get that introducing a arrow and observers (relations). Then we have the other degrees of freedom as length, width and height, but they and the arrow becomes one in relativity as I read it. That you can lift out parts of that 'wholeness' to then manipulate your symbols doesn't state that the universe treats it that way. As I think they 'fused together' becomes a archetype of sorts, the building blocks of relativity. And that's also a question of what scaling tells us, because with scaling the building blocks becomes diffuse, and we wander from relativity into QM.
« Last Edit: 24/10/2012 20:49:44 by yor_on »

Offline acsinuk

• View Profile
    • electricmagnofluxuniverse.blogspot.com
« Reply #27 on: 08/11/2012 17:21:21 »
Yor_on, it is not complicated at all.  There are virtual photon of electro-magnetic energy which electrical engineers identify as imaginary or reactive power measured in var's rather than Watts.
AC Electricity can move at the speed of light and therefore is made of photons not electrons. Now if the current loop which is a volume of magnoflux is not at right angles to the voltage field then you will get virtual photons instead of real energy photons.
Once you get to understand this then nuclear resonance and MRI machines and their images are simple to understand.
CliveS

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 08/11/2012 17:21:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums