The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have a look at the new forum  (Read 37419 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: Have a look at the new forum
« Reply #25 on: 15/06/2006 01:41:09 »
I noticed in the statistics page which i love by the way that the new forum software has the abillity to run polls but i have been unable to find the feature will it as well as spellcheck be turned on in the future.

Michael

another_someone

« Reply #26 on: 15/06/2006 01:52:31 »
37)One of the profile options in http://www.kellaton.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2334;sa=theme is to change the quick-moderation setting to check boxes.  Doing this puts a single check box, without any idea what it is meant to do, in the final column of forum topics list in  http://www.kellaton.org.uk/forum/index.php?board=6.0.  Setting the profile to show icons places two icons in the column, and the tooltips for these icons are 'Remove topic' and 'Lock topic'.

George
« Last Edit: 15/06/2006 02:05:59 by daveshorts »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #27 on: 15/06/2006 02:05:14 »
I have numbered the points so as to keep some kind of tracibilty ;)

35) Yeah, you can get to it from the little search icon next to the search box, this isn't very obvious. It may be ok if I can get it to change colour when you hover over it, the DHTML is being intransigent atm, or it is just 2am...

The reason why lots of funtionality is different is that we have moved away from Snitz as it was running on an Access Database which kept dieing and was causing the server to fall over. We have moved to Simple Machines

37) Cheers fixed it.

another_someone

« Reply #28 on: 15/06/2006 02:13:57 »
http://www.kellaton.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=recent – could you possibly increase the left and right padding or margin a bit – having the text running to within a pixel of the borders may seem like economic use of space, but is not good for the eyesight, and having a little bit more white space to the left and right of it might make it more readable.

Conversely, http://www.kellaton.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2334;sa=showPosts;start=1140 has a bit too much white space around the text, but in part that is no doubt to allow room for the menu at the top left of the page.

On the other hand, the selection of pages for this screen is somewhat cumbersome.  My own posting history runs to 81 pages, but I cannot choose to go to page 41, I can only select one of the next or immediately preceding few pages, and in this manner incrementally step through the history.  In reality, it will probably be unusual that I would ever look back more than the most recent few pages, and anything further back than that I would probably use the search facility to locate, but the facility is theoretically there to go through this route as well, but is made the more cumbersome by the way it is presented.

George

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #29 on: 15/06/2006 02:21:01 »
re 37) Cheers george, dave ,sorted.

Michael

another_someone

« Reply #30 on: 15/06/2006 02:24:38 »
Back to the checkbox options for the quick-moderation selection in the profiles (as mentioned in 37 above).

If you select checkboxes, these boxes also turn up on the messages within the topics (at least, on those messages that I own).  If I switch to using icons, no icons are shown – it is as if I had selected the 'don't show' option.

George
« Last Edit: 15/06/2006 02:27:52 by another_someone »

another_someone

« Reply #31 on: 15/06/2006 02:36:19 »
Another couple of cosmetics that would be, in my view, minor improvements.

You have the last edited timestamp on the bottom of the message.  This is fine, but could you change the text colour, or put a border around it, or in some other way separate it from the main body of the text.

The creation timestamp is on the left column of the message list.  There is good logic in it being there, but it is too cramped, and, at least on my screen, tends to wrap.  Could you possibly move this to being above the text, in line with the 'reply' link, but well to the left of it, and like the edit timestamp, set in different colour or with a box to separate it from the text around it.

George

another_someone

« Reply #32 on: 15/06/2006 02:43:50 »
Back to pint 10 – mea culpa – the wild cards are only for searching, not for the actual recipient address, so you cannot send to just anyone.

Sorry, I'm still getting the hang of the new system, and am clearly jumping the gun on some of these.

George
« Last Edit: 15/06/2006 03:03:34 by another_someone »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15/06/2006 02:46:25 »
16) I think the signature is appearing now, but I may be wrong. There was a problem that it was appearing twice, as Snitz appended it to the message itself, whereas smf (the new software) adds it in dynamically. I fixed this by grepping through the post for the signature and if it appears not displaying it a second time. It may be finding false positives.

18) It is now displaying the messageID at the left. You can make a link to it by going [message=2345]My cool message[/message]. It was done in a bad and wrong way as there is no built in functionality for finding a message without a topic, but now works. I will try and find a more elegant (or at least robust) way of implementing it in the morning.

another_someone

« Reply #34 on: 15/06/2006 03:02:08 »
Looking a bit more at the mail function.

When you set up a search function to search for a user by name, and you use wild cards, you only shown 7 names at a time, and the names are not sorted in any alphabetical order, and like with the multi page message lists, you can step through the pages, but cannot jump straight to a given page number (although, since the names are not in alphabetical order, it is unlikely you would be able to judge to which page to jump to).

I have changed my user name to be a different visible name from the underlying name (the underlying name remains “another_someone”, but the visible name was changed to “another me”.  When I search for my name in the list of mail recipients, it brings up “another me”, but when I insert the name into the recipient list, it shows as “another_someone” - i.e. the visible name changes to the underlying name.  The delivery still works, but it is both confusing, and arguably a breach of security.

George

another_someone

« Reply #35 on: 15/06/2006 03:08:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts

16) I think the signature is appearing now, but I may be wrong. There was a problem that it was appearing twice, as Snitz appended it to the message itself, whereas smf (the new software) adds it in dynamically. I fixed this by grepping through the post for the signature and if it appears not displaying it a second time. It may be finding false positives.

Yep, I am seeing it now – at first I thought that I was going insane, and it had been there all along, but then I realised you had made other changes also, so it must be you fixing problems as I go back to look at the bits again.

Yes, I know I had to be careful with Snitz in that when I used to edit the message I would have to be careful not to accidentally delete the signature.  It would be nice if this no longer remains a problem.

quote:

18) It is now displaying the messageID at the left. You can make a link to it by going [message=2345]My cool message[/message]. It was done in a bad and wrong way as there is no built in functionality for finding a message without a topic, but now works. I will try and find a more elegant (or at least robust) way of implementing it in the morning.

Yep, I saw that – thanks.

I thought you would make a link from it, so that I could simply right click and copy the link, and then paste it into the message, but I'm not sure that has any real advantage over the way you have done it (except maybe that the topic remains part of the link, and so anyone who wants to edit that link, just to look at the topic, can do so – but not many will be worrying about doing that).

George
« Last Edit: 15/06/2006 03:13:48 by another_someone »

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15/06/2006 03:19:47 »
22) Good point - I have disabled executables. Whether we want any attachments is possibly debateable - I guess we can try it and see if it gets silly.

6) I have put a link to the BBCode stuff on the posting page

26) I think the title is because the forum has the ability to show posts in a tree form (which would be particularly useful for this thread ;) and It is a hang over from this - I think I will just make the input hidden.

another_someone

« Reply #37 on: 15/06/2006 03:23:31 »
On the message InBox (http://www.kellaton.org.uk/forum/index.php?action=pm;f=inbox;l=-1), you use the same colour scheme as on the topics message list.  This is fine.

You use the same alternate background colour for each alternate message – this is fine.

You do not use the alternate background colour for the signature, so the signature is on a white background on each and every message, even as the rest of the message is only on a white background on every other message.

George

another_someone

« Reply #38 on: 15/06/2006 03:30:09 »
quote:

22) Good point - I have disabled executables. Whether we want any attachments is possibly debateable - I guess we can try it and see if it gets silly.

My own instinct would be to the negative – it is a risk, and I don't see that it is pertinent to the kind of fast moving discussion group we have here.  It may be more relevant if this was some kind of self-help group, where people may want to load up some software or other supporting material in response to some support request, but that is not what we do here.

In any case, the only justification for making it an attachment, rather than inline, is either if it was non-text (e.g. an executable), or it was very big (e.g. a large document someone may wish to download).  The latter is a possibility, but also carries risks (Microsoft word documents, or Excel documents, can carry malicious code; and zip files can contain almost anything).

George

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15/06/2006 03:33:30 »
20) I think the more sophisticated edit screen has the preview above the editor... it may need to be made more obvious somehow - I have added a couple of blank lines before the preview to stop it looking like part of the tree above.

25) Aaah that makes sense - the message icon should appear in the topic list. In the column I deleted as I couldn't work out what it was there for. I don't think it really adds much, I will get rid of it completely.

Thankyou again for the testing, the feedback is brilliant. However I think I will go to bed now to avoid passing out on the keyboard, I will continue tomorrow.
  Cheers

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15/06/2006 03:39:27 »
22) Yeah, I am tending to think that way. But it may be worth restricting it to just pictures as it would simplify the picture upload process a lot. May have copyright implications, I will check with Chris.

another_someone

« Reply #41 on: 15/06/2006 04:23:30 »
Another issue with the messages InBox.

You have the same information repeated twice.

At the top, you have a summary of the messages in the InBox (just status, date, subject, and recipient), and beneath, you have the full text and details of each of the messages.

I could understand the need for the summary list if you then had to drill down to the detailed messages, but if you are in any case listing the full messages, then why do you also list the summary?

George

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15/06/2006 17:50:33 »
37) At the bottom of the list of topics there should be a couple of drop down boxes that give you options to apply to the topics that you have selected with the checkboxes. This would be really useful for the 'urbanhotlist' bot that keeps posting adverts...
- Do you think this needs to be clearer in any way?

another_someone

« Reply #43 on: 15/06/2006 19:17:41 »
Just come back to this, and tried to have a look at the new forum.  I assume you have taken it down for a short while, since I am not currently able to get to it.

George

another_someone

« Reply #44 on: 15/06/2006 19:52:26 »
quote:
37) At the bottom of the list of topics there should be a couple of drop down boxes that give you options to apply to the topics that you have selected with the checkboxes. This would be really useful for the 'urbanhotlist' bot that keeps posting adverts...
- Do you think this needs to be clearer in any way?

Still unable at this time to go back and look at it, as you currently have a template error – no doubt you are attending to this.

My own view is that as far as time allows you to do so, every clickable field, of any kind, should either have a tooltip or should display a message on the status line.

George

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 16/06/2006 14:49:50 »
It was actually because I had accidently added a '/' in the middle of the code, and for some reason all syntax error messages are being eaten by my host and it took me ages commenting out code to find it ... ;)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 11/08/2006 15:06:51 »
Am working on this again at http://typo.nakeddiscovery.com/forum/

There are a couple of new features:
-You can upload images, and insert them into your text where you want them.
-You can insert chemical structures written as a SMILES string using the [chem] tag.

I will work through the issues previously mentioned - if you notice any more please tell me.

quote:
1)Minor peculiarity – when I logged on, a string of text very briefly popped up in the browser (too quick to properly note down, but looked like it may have been a hex or escaped url string), before reverting to the site. When I did log on, I was not taken back to the page from which I came, but went to the main forum page (I was viewing my profile when I entered my logon details, and I would have expected to return to that page).

Was just some debugging info, has been removed

quote:
2)When viewing http://www.kellaton.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4188.from0#new, in the middle, I see Carolyn's weight loss details, but no message next to it – what is this doing here?

I think this was an issue with signatures,  which has been fixed

quote:
5)When you view a forum, you see the number of 'views' that a topic has received, but when you view the topic, you see the number of 'reads' the topic has received – this is inconsistent.

Views/read is now consistently views

quote:
7)When I click on 'reply with quotes', I get a momentary popup of a small browser window which then quickly disappears – what is happening here?

this is a perculiarity of how the software inserts stuff into the quick reply at the bottom without reloading the whole page. We will probably have to live with it.

quote:
8)Tried out the 'report to moderator' function. No moderators available (not surprising on a test site). Is one line of comment really sufficient for a report – would you not wish a TEXTAREA rather than an INPUT TEXT field here. Also, given the seriousness of this entry, would you wish the auto-submission to occur in response to a carriage return (this would not be a problem in a TEXTAREA field)?

This is a case of a moderator volunteering to receive the notifications. I will try and remember how I volunteered last time.

quote:
9)Don't see anything akin the the range of search facilities we have in the present site. I would have liked an extension of those facilities, not a withdrawal of them.

This is a case of going to the advanced search page

quote:
10)I like the idea of sending personal messages without exposing the email address, but the use of wild cards in the address field sounds very dangerous. Also, I would have though allowing you to send emails to outside recipients is also very dangerous, and will probably very quickly lead to this site being blacklisted by spam blacklists.

There is a limit of sending messages to 5 people at a time as long as you are not a moderator, so it shouldn't be too bad.

quote:
12)I cannot find any longer any site statistics – has this feature been removed?

There is a link at the bottom

quote:
13)The new site, as is the case with the existing site, uses alternate background colours for each message so that one can easily identify the boundary between messages. On the new site, some of the very long messages will break this

Fixed I think

quote:
14)Messages are valign=bottom – this can be very confusing for short messages that are at the bottom of the area allotted to them.

I don't think this does it now.

quote:
15)so it just looked like one continuous run of text saying 'Reply with quote Modify Remove'. You should put a thin border, or some other indicator, to show that these are three separate groups of words.  

I have replaced them with nicer images so it should be ok.

quote:
16)I see the signature is not appearing on the posts (it is still in the profile).

I think it is fixed.

quote:
17) blue link against a black background

Was a css problem, think it is fixed.

quote:
18)One thing that would be nice to have (I know, I should have asked this earlier), is that each post would display next to it the message number (ideally, the full url) for that particular message, so that one can easily copy a link to the specific message (rather than just a link to the topic0 when quoting it elesewhere.

Done

quote:
19)I note that all of the smilies are surrounded by square brackets. Is this a feature, or an oversight?

Oversight - fixed now. I think I have imported all the snitz smileys so it should be backwards compatible.

quote:
20)When you type a response to a post (at the bottom of a topic), you have two buttons, one for submit, and the other for preview. The preview button does not really show you a preview (unlike the preview button on the present site), but takes you to a more comprehensive edit page.

There is a preview at the top, is this not obvious enough?

quote:
21)It would be nice if the edit page for creating/editing posts would have some tooltips to explain the plethora of icon buttons.

Done.

quote:
 22)I note that you allow the uploading of attachments, including executables. Interesting, if possibly a bit dangerous.

Good point is now just images.

quote:
 23)The font size options ([ size = nn ]) is accepted by the input, and is clearly parsed, but does not seem to have any effect.

I had disabled it and hoped noone would notice - some chance ;)

quote:
24)Interesting use of the font option – although the button on the edit screen only set font=veranda; in fact, it seems you can set any font that may be displayed.

I could try and do it as a dropdown, but what fonts are available is always going to be a dodgy thing.

quote:
 25)You have the option to include a message icon – where should this appear?

You don't any more ;)

quote:
26)Also, interestingly, when you post a message, it allows you to change the title of the topic you will be posting to – or at least, it pretends to give you that option, but quite sensibly, that option does not work.

Again you don't any more.

quote:
27)Some topics have a button marked 'new', while others are missing this.

I have altered the way this works to make it more like the old forum, unread messages now appear as purple

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 11/08/2006 15:17:19 »
27) cont - the new button had a nice feature which meant that if you clicked on it it would take you to the first new message. I have integrated that into the purple folder on the left.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11/08/2006 15:44:37 »
I love it !!

You could try harder though dave !!! ;)

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11/08/2006 15:45:16 »
The 'General Science' piccy is missing !!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #49 on: 11/08/2006 15:45:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length