The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Have a look at the new forum  (Read 37530 times)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
Re: Have a look at the new forum
« Reply #50 on: 11/08/2006 17:11:26 »
yeah, I haven't found a good one yet. Can anyone think of a picture that neatly sums up the whole of science in 60x60 pixels of goodness?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11/08/2006 17:41:18 »
How about this !!

Looks fine to me

:)....sorry dave !!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11/08/2006 18:12:09 »
What about one of these  ?

'
'
'
'
'
'
'

from here !! http://www.trios.de/

« Last Edit: 11/08/2006 18:23:26 by neilep »

another_someone

« Reply #53 on: 11/08/2006 18:18:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts
Am working on this again at http://typo.nakeddiscovery.com/forum/

Very brief look – nothing obviously broken – maybe have to spend a little longer to find your deliberate mistakes this time.  Some issues though.

Don't see any way at present to go to the last message of a topic.  Is it simply that I have not looked in the right place.

You retain the advanced search icon – and I now know what it is – but there is neither and legend near it, nor any tooltip to tell you what it is.  There is more than enough room under the current search button to place a clearly labelled 'advanced search' button.

Generally, very pretty, but too much real estate used by things that are not immediately useful, thus requiring more scrolling to read what is important.  In particular, the side bar that remains there even when you are deep down in the topics means that you are losing space for the topic information – which is what you really want to read.

It might also maybe useful is a border was placed around to text area in the topics (it is placed around the quotes, with a change in background area) so that is is clearly separated from the surrounding context information (i.e. author, date, etc).

It looks like the borders around the quotes are in the same colour as the default colour for the text.  Would it not be better to use a different colour in order to easier visually separate the borders from the text? (particularly confusing when you have a cascade of quotes)

George

another_someone

« Reply #54 on: 11/08/2006 18:19:52 »
BTW, one clear difference in behaviour between the old and new forum:

The old forum, when you reply to a topic, you remain in the topic, in the new forum, when you reply to a topic, you then exist the topic and go back to the section.

George

another_someone

« Reply #55 on: 11/08/2006 18:32:13 »
It seems the search facility allows you to search the body of the messages, but I do not see how you search by topic header (thus is possible in the current forum).

George

another_someone

« Reply #56 on: 11/08/2006 18:45:09 »
Another anomaly – maybe I just don't understand something properly.

I take an existing topic, and split it.  Of I do a search for words within both the old and new topic, they are both there, but if I look at the index for the topics, only the old topic is visible (even if I use search to bring up the newly split topic, and then select the link to the parent index, it is missing from the parent index – at least in the recent topics list, and this is even though the time of the message of the new topic is only 20 minutes after the start of the original topic).

George

another_someone

« Reply #57 on: 11/08/2006 18:54:18 »
The topic index, the 'Started by' column seems to be fixed width – or, at least, it is very easy to overflow the column width for long names as you scale up the fonts (FireFox ctrl/+).

George

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11/08/2006 20:10:15 »
quote:
Generally, very pretty, but too much real estate used by things that are not immediately useful, thus requiring more scrolling to read what is important. In particular, the side bar that remains there even when you are deep down in the topics means that you are losing space for the topic information – which is what you really want to read.

The reason we have done it is to make the naked scientists podcast and site less seperate form the forum, I will be doing more integration in the future, so you automatically get discussion topics based around questions asked on the show for example.

How about now - if you are logged in the sidebar is abbreviated enough for the forum stuff to fit underneath, giving you the full width to play with, but guests will see the full thing so find out about us. Is this too confusing or ugly? Should I have it as an option in profile instead?

another_someone

« Reply #59 on: 12/08/2006 00:13:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by daveshorts
How about now - if you are logged in the sidebar is abbreviated enough for the forum stuff to fit underneath, giving you the full width to play with, but guests will see the full thing so find out about us. Is this too confusing or ugly?

That looks a lot better - thanks.

George

another_someone

« Reply #60 on: 13/08/2006 01:33:25 »
Mark as read button consistently returns a “Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again” - even if I log out and log back in.

George

another_someone

« Reply #61 on: 13/08/2006 01:40:31 »
Still not sure what the tick boxes, either on the thread index, or on the messages within the threads, are meant to do.

Tried to report to moderator function – again, not sure what that is meant to do, since no messages entered my inbox (and I am supposed to be a moderator).

Still a problem that report to moderator returns you to message index, so if you want to report several messages within the thread, you will have to drill down the thread again.

Still a limitation that you only have one line of text for the report to moderator function – this is not a lot in which to describe why you have reported the message to the moderator.

George

another_someone

« Reply #62 on: 13/08/2006 01:49:33 »
Set up a poll.

I have no problem voting in the poll.

No problem removing the vote.

When I have voted, the I can see the current voting results.

If I have not yet voted, or have deleted my vote, then the current results do not appear (this is not a problem).  But what does appear is a button that says 'View results' – but that button does not seem to do anything.

George

another_someone

« Reply #63 on: 13/08/2006 02:09:00 »
A slightly misleading error message.  I tried to register a new user, logged out, and register a second user, and I get the message “Sorry, but you're not allowed to register multiple accounts at the same time from the same computer”.

In fact I can register as many users as I like from the same computer – I simply cannot register them from the same session – i.e. I have to close down the browser and open it up again in order to register a new user.

There are in fact some good reasons why a user would want to register more than one user from the same computer (e.g. more than one family member using the same computer).

George

another_someone

« Reply #64 on: 13/08/2006 02:23:33 »
The registration process states it requires a valid email address – in fact, it only requires a valid domain name on the email address.

The only way to actually validate an email address is to send an email to the address (which would not be a bad idea, but clearly you are not doing this, but merely doing a DNS lookup on the name, or allowing a valid non-local IP address).

If you fill out the registration, you need (not unreasonably) to click on the 'I agree' tickbox before the 'Register' button is enabled.  Problem is that if an error occurs in the registration, you are then taken back to the registration entry apge, with the password fields cleared, but all other fields left as they were.  This includes the 'I agree' tickbox remains ticked, but the 'Register' button is disabled.  You actually need to untick the 'I agree' box, and tick it again, before the 'Register' button is enabled again.

George

another_someone

« Reply #65 on: 13/08/2006 02:39:10 »
Tried to click on the 'notify' button in the 'Chemistry' forum.  Then created a new topic within the forum.  Did not see any notification.

Do not see where there is any indication of whether notification is active or not.

BTW, I notice that you have removed the list of moderators from the topics list.  This is good, since it used up real estate, and few people actually need to know who the moderators are – they just need to be able to contact the moderators (e.g. by the 'notify moderator' option).

On the other hand, the moderators themselves might like to know which topics they are moderators for – how would they find this information out?

George

another_someone

« Reply #66 on: 13/08/2006 02:51:03 »
I was given the understanding that in the new forum moderators would have more power over individual users (i.e. to delete or lock users, not only their messages).  Was this understanding in error – I see no way of managing users in the forum?

Incidentally, when I have the members list up, I have the search option at the top (not the 'search members' button, but in the heading area, the same search option that exists everywhere else).  This is a little confusing in this context, since that option is still searching the topic messages, even though I am not in a topic context.  I would expect the only search facility to be available when viewing members information is a search of members, not a search of topic.  I would advise either removing the field when viewing members information, or changing it to search the members records, to at least to relabel to 'Search topics' so that it is clear that the function is not context dependent.

George

another_someone

« Reply #67 on: 13/08/2006 02:56:58 »
BTW, I don;t see anyone else posting much here.  Am I a 1 man testing team, or are others sending responses through direct email, or otherwise less visible means?

George

another_someone

« Reply #68 on: 13/08/2006 20:43:36 »
The new members list actually contains less information than on the existing site.

The members list does not contain the date of the most recent post, or the country of the member.

George

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 15/08/2006 13:12:16 »
Sorry have been away for the weekend
quote:
I was given the understanding that in the new forum moderators would have more power over individual users (i.e. to delete or lock users, not only their messages). Was this understanding in error – I see no way of managing users in the forum?

Sorry I think I had not goven you enough permissions. I have now made you a global moderator, and I think you should have an admin option at the top within which you should be able to do this.

quote:
Spellcheck

After an exciting exercise in recompiling PHP and Apache we now have a spellcheck option when posting messages.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 16/08/2006 17:02:00 »
YAAAAAY!! I LOVE SPELL CHECK!!!

Karen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 16/08/2006 17:18:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.

YAAAAAY!! I LOVE SPELL CHECK!!!

Karen

lukerlee ..eye downt kneed shpell  chek !!

another_someone

« Reply #72 on: 16/08/2006 20:35:23 »
Since most responses I compose in a wordprocessor before copying onto the web page, I already have been using a spellchecker most of the time.

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 17/08/2006 02:35:45 »
YOU DO SO, SIR!!!! YOU ARE SO.... BAD, But so am I when I get sleepy your lucky if I can spell anything!!!

Karen

another_someone

« Reply #74 on: 17/08/2006 02:52:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.

YOU DO SO, SIR!!!! YOU ARE SO.... BAD, But so am I when I get sleepy your lucky if I can spell anything!!!

Well  you spelt 'anything' correctly this time - so he must be lucky :D

George

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #74 on: 17/08/2006 02:52:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums