The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does Flushing The Loo Erupt A Waterfall of Germs ?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Looologists,

Toilets eh ?....All I think about ewe know ?...Toilets are my all time fave thing that flushes poos and wees wees away !...And there it all goes into the wall !!....amazing !!

Look, here's a loo that I just flushed !

A Loo That I Just Flushed Moments Ago.

Nice eh ?...like my tiles  ?

As ewe know....when ewe flush the loo a torrent of water cascades from the toilet into the pan !...This makes quite a waterfall. Waterfalls have lots of spray !..so...when I flush the loo (Unless I close the lid )...............

....................am I releasing billions of little bacteria into the air ?......

If so, it seems like a health hazard to me !

whajafink ?

hugs and shmsiehs

mwah mwah

Neil
Pull Down The Handle
And Flush It All Away
Scatological Fun
Can be Had Every Day

Kwality Poemage right there and ewe know it !!

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Does Flushing The Loo Erupt A Waterfall of Germs ?
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/2012 15:40:49 »
nice tiles!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22137761

Potential for aerosolization of Clostridium difficile after flushing toilets: the role of toilet lids in reducing environmental contamination risk.
Best EL, Sandoe JA, Wilcox MH.
Source

Microbiology Department, Old Medical School, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, UK.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Toilet facilities in healthcare settings vary widely, but patient toilets are commonly shared and do not have lids. When a toilet is flushed without the lid closed, aerosol production may lead to surface contamination within the toilet environment.
AIM:

To substantiate the risks of airborne dissemination of C. difficile following flushing a toilet, in particular when lids are not fitted.
METHODS:

We performed in-situ testing, using faecal suspensions of C. difficile to simulate the bacterial burden found during disease, to measure C. difficile aerosolization. We also measured the extent of splashing occurring during flushing of two different toilet types commonly used in hospitals.
FINDINGS:

C. difficile was recoverable from air sampled at heights up to 25 cm above the toilet seat. The highest numbers of C. difficile were recovered from air sampled immediately following flushing, and then declined 8-fold after 60 min and a further 3-fold after 90 min. Surface contamination with C. difficile occurred within 90 min after flushing, demonstrating that relatively large droplets are released which then contaminate the immediate environment. The mean numbers of droplets emitted upon flushing by the lidless toilets in clinical areas were 15-47, depending on design. C. difficile aerosolization and surrounding environmental contamination occur when a lidless toilet is flushed.
CONCLUSION:

Lidless conventional toilets increase the risk of C. difficile environmental contamination, and we suggest that their use is discouraged, particularly in settings where CDI is common.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07/10/2012 11:54:41 »
nice tiles!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22137761

Potential for aerosolization of Clostridium difficile after flushing toilets: the role of toilet lids in reducing environmental contamination risk.
Best EL, Sandoe JA, Wilcox MH.
Source

Microbiology Department, Old Medical School, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, UK.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Toilet facilities in healthcare settings vary widely, but patient toilets are commonly shared and do not have lids. When a toilet is flushed without the lid closed, aerosol production may lead to surface contamination within the toilet environment.
AIM:

To substantiate the risks of airborne dissemination of C. difficile following flushing a toilet, in particular when lids are not fitted.
METHODS:

We performed in-situ testing, using faecal suspensions of C. difficile to simulate the bacterial burden found during disease, to measure C. difficile aerosolization. We also measured the extent of splashing occurring during flushing of two different toilet types commonly used in hospitals.
FINDINGS:

C. difficile was recoverable from air sampled at heights up to 25 cm above the toilet seat. The highest numbers of C. difficile were recovered from air sampled immediately following flushing, and then declined 8-fold after 60 min and a further 3-fold after 90 min. Surface contamination with C. difficile occurred within 90 min after flushing, demonstrating that relatively large droplets are released which then contaminate the immediate environment. The mean numbers of droplets emitted upon flushing by the lidless toilets in clinical areas were 15-47, depending on design. C. difficile aerosolization and surrounding environmental contamination occur when a lidless toilet is flushed.
CONCLUSION:

Lidless conventional toilets increase the risk of C. difficile environmental contamination, and we suggest that their use is discouraged, particularly in settings where CDI is common.

Thanks so much Imatfaal...Yep original tiles from 1930 (circa)

Ok, I will be encouraging the use of a 'downing-lid' movement in my house...Thanks for the great information.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2012 11:30:00 »
I recall seeing a microscopic view of a toothbrush kept in a bathroom where the bog had been flushed with the lid not being closed. Not very nice.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2012 11:30:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums