The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do black holes affect neutrinos?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
How do black holes affect neutrinos?
« on: 04/10/2012 01:36:14 »
From what I understand, neutrinos tend to ignore pretty much everything. I think Dr Karl suggested that a wall of lead a couple of dozen light years thick might be enough to shield them.

So what about black holes? Are they just as susceptible to gravity as photons?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: How do black holes affect neutrinos?
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/2012 14:43:37 »
if neutrinos have mass they must follow 'geodesics'. In those cases where they aren't found to have mass you must ask yourself if they have a 'energy'. If your answer is yes then they must follow a geodesic too. As for if a black hole interacts gravitationally with the rest of the universe I would say, naturally they must :) If they didn't, there would be no paths towards them, and neither would they attract any matter, if that was what you meant Biz?

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/2012 23:39:04 »
I can see the original post was a tad unclear. sorry. :(

What I was wondering was that if neutrinos are such weakly interacting particles, and can go through the Earth as if it wasn't there, then surely it would have a weaker interaction with gravity, and therefore a weaker interaction with black holes.

I realise it isn't possible for them to have a weaker interaction with black holes than photons could (unless you use faulty cabling  ;)) but I was just trying to get my head around why?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2012 16:02:12 »
I would have to assume that as they have mass, neutrinos would be affected by the gravity of a blackhole just like any other form of matter.  The reason they go through earth like it isn't there, is that they do not react/interact/bump any of the charged particles that make up the earth.  I would guess they speed up an infinitesimally small amount as they approach and slow down as they leave due to the action of gravity.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 06/10/2012 16:02:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums