The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is the nature of having something on the tip of your tongue ?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest tongueologists,

Tongues and memories eh ?....

Ewe would think something like a memory resides in your brain....this I not true because sometimes memories like to wander to a warm clime at the tip of your tongue. Here they have fun and enjoy playing bingo !....This is great for the memory but not so good when we need to access it.

When we say “ it's on the tip of our tongue”...we know that we know what we are trying to recall but because memory is having so much fun it's stubborn and will not release it's identity until it has won a line or a full house....and then later we have that Eureka moment when memory reveals itself !

Please be to explaining to me this ?

How is it that we know what we want to know  but are unable to complete it ?

Why does this happen ?

What is the nature of having something on the tip of your tongue
?

Do ewe know ?..can ewe recall to let me know too ?

Ta

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah

neil
Don't forget it's....erhmm...oh....what is it now ?.......
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
I was just about to answer this, but I then I couldn't think what I wanted to say...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
I was just about to answer this, but I then I couldn't think what I wanted to say...

LOL..it's very curious isn't it ?....We know that we know the answer !!..and yet something just stops the answer being in a form made possible to communicate.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
So there's at least a two part process here..... something tells us that we know the answer based on our own knowledge and the other that tells us to recall it and communicate it.

How can you know you know something without.....erhmm....knowing it !

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
That is a very weird sensation. It happens not just with  word recall but sometimes with things, events, like  "there was something I was going to tell you but now I can't think what it was", or I know "I'm forgetting something I was going to take with me", and losing ones train of thought (what was I just saying?) With words and names I some times run through the alphabet. Thank God for google. If nothing else it helps with "who is that actor? Wasnt he the guy in..."

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
That is a very weird sensation. It happens not just with  word recall but sometimes with things, events, like  "there was something I was going to tell you but now I can't think what it was", or I know "I'm forgetting something I was going to take with me", and losing ones train of thought (what was I just saying?) With words and names I some times run through the alphabet. Thank God for google. If nothing else it helps with "who is that actor? Wasnt he the guy in..."

Me too !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums