The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What can you mix with vinegar to create a home made cleaning paste?  (Read 11064 times)

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
(Spirit) Vinegar is a fantastic, if slightly odourous, substance for all manner of household cleaning tasks.  I used some the other day to very succesfully remove all of the scale and gunk from the shower head by simply leaving it soaking for a couple of hours.

So I was wondering, is it possible to thicken it up (to at least the consistency of bleach) whilst retaining its cleaning power to use it to clean the grout between the tiles?

Offline damocles

• View Profile
I do not know about its cleaning properties, but you can make a soft gel from vinegar by adding a little lime (slaked lime) or limestone/seashells, and then some methylated spirit. I do not know about its cleaning properties, and you would have to play around with proportions to get the consistency you wanted

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It wouldn't work as a cleaner very well if you neutralised the acidity of the vinegar with lime.

Offline fadridrocky

• First timers
    • View Profile
(Spirit) Vinegar is a fantastic, if slightly odourous, substance for all manner of household cleaning tasks.  I used some the other day to very succesfully remove all of the newbielink:http://www.bondcleanings.com.au [nonactive] scale and gunk from the shower head by simply leaving it soaking for a couple of hours.

So I was wondering, is it possible to thicken it newbielink:http://www.bondcleanings.com.au/end-of-lease-cleaning-brisbane [nonactive] up (to at least the consistency of bleach) whilst retaining its cleaning power to use it to clean the grout between the tiles?

hello I am one guy looking for innovative ideas for cleaning. Just found this thread. I have used vinegar several times for cleaning but never thought like this. Is it really possible to make vinegar paste?
« Last Edit: 16/03/2013 16:00:04 by fadridrocky »

Offline Lab Rat

• View Profile
I am just kind of throwing out ideas as I am writing this, but:
-I was curious so I checked about mixing vinegar with gelatin powder.  It said that it would not set because of the acid, but I think that if you used a lot of powder in proportion to the vinegar, you could make a paste-like substance.  (They actually make "balsamic vinegar jellies" for salads, etc. by doing that and adding substances such as sweet cooking wine to make it set.)  However, now you could run into problems such stains, etc.
-Maybe mix the vinegar with polyacrylic acid in powder form to create a paste or gel.  Someone please tell me if you think that this will work or not.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
It wouldn't work as a cleaner very well if you neutralised the acidity of the vinegar with lime.
Very true BC,..........why not mix it with a neutral substance like wheat flour? You could certainly make a paste of sorts by mixing these two items. 

Offline Lab Rat

• View Profile
I, myself, was wondering whether or not you could do that.  I just wasn't sure if the flour would neutralize the acid. 

Offline bizerl

• View Profile
It's funny. I actually find that making a paste out of water and bicarb soda works really well for cleaning the grout between tiles.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
It's funny. I actually find that making a paste out of water and bicarb soda works really well for cleaning the grout between tiles.

You might try baking powder; though it is mostly sodium bicarbonate, there are other ingredients in it. Also makes a good tooth cleaner.

The problem with vinegar is the pong. Formic acid might be a good substitute and easy to obtain, provided you are skilled in the process of 'milking' ants.
« Last Edit: 16/03/2013 02:12:05 by Don_1 »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... Acetic acid might be a good substitute and easy to obtain, provided you are skilled in the process of 'milking' ants.

Ants produce another carboxylic acid ...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formic_acid

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I know salt and vinegar cleans copper pots and pans.

Offline confusious says

• View Profile
If you mix table salt with vinegar, it makes an excellent de-scaler :)

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
Citric acid is the best descaler for drinking water scale in water-filters, kettles, coffee-makers, etc., because it doesn't smell, it's strong, cheap, and pretty safe - it's the acid in lemons, so its very sour; you'd know if you hadn't rinsed properly. It's sold by the kilo as crystals, for making home-made soap (it was news to me too!).

For grout I use gel bleach.

Offline MalcolmWilli

• First timers
    • View Profile
I happened to come across a product by Rustoleum called Rust Remover. It has the consistency of maple syrup, but once you work it in it thickens nicely. I used it to remove years of built up rust on a couple vintage (handled) axes I had--worked as good as soaking in vinegar...check it out

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums