The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Which flowering trees have persistent fruit?  (Read 4121 times)

Offline puzzled

• First timers
    • View Profile
Which flowering trees have persistent fruit?
« on: 20/06/2006 22:47:44 »
I have been trying to figure out what flowering trees have persistent fruit but have not had much luck in my research. I live in PA and am planning to plant a few flowering trees around my yard but, I don't want to deal with messy fruit in the yard. I was considering planing a Japanese Flowering Cherry, Pink Dogwood and a Kousa Dogwood but worry about all of the mess they could make. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: 01/07/2008 11:29:59 by BenV »

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2011 20:14:51 »
I have been trying to figure out what flowering trees have persistent fruit but have not had much luck in my research. I live in PA and am planning to plant a few flowering trees around my yard but, I don't want to deal with messy fruit in the yard. I was considering planing a Japanese Flowering Cherry, Pink Dogwood and a Kousa Dogwood but worry about all of the mess they could make. Any suggestions?

I will say that if it's a lone tree it will not produce fruit as it will have to be pollenated to do that.

The issue I see is looking to, introduce a tree to a place it is not from. I take it you are not in Japan. So if you do decide on a Japanese Cherry tree unless there is another one with in a decent distance, it will never produce any fruit at all.

Just to say, I do not think it's such a great idea tho, to use a non native tree in your garden.
« Last Edit: 29/03/2011 20:16:46 by Wiybit »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2011 20:14:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums