The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What causes abdominal discomfort and constipation?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline susie1017

• First timers
    • View Profile
Intestines and stomach indigestion that I'm very upset, I itself has gastroenteritis and colitis, eat a meal stomach is very uncomfortable, flatulence, indigestion, bad luck, peacetime all didn't eat other snacks but just don't digest, it is affecting my work and life, take medicine also is only temporary effect, if stopped to appear constipation, I don't want to rely on drugs, please everybody gives a dot the opinion! :(
« Last Edit: 30/10/2012 00:01:38 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Constipation problems
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2012 11:50:27 »
There are several diseases or conditions that can affect bowels and bowel comfort.
  • Ulcerative Colitis
  • Inflammatory Bowel Disease
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Crohn's Disease
  • Celiac Sprue
  • Polyps, Bleeding, & etc.
  • Worms

• Female Cycles??
It is encouraged to discuss your issues with a physician.

Celiac Sprue is of particular note because it is due to a gluten intolerance, and can be treated with a restriction of wheat and wheat products. 

Lately I've tried to be more observant of my personal diet. 
There are certain foods that are more or less fully digested.  Simple sugars, starches, oils, and etc.

Other foods are poorly digested, including Fiber, and some sugar substitutes, in particular the Sugar Alcohols.
The fiber & sugar alcohols are then digested by bacteria in the gut, and cause gas, cramping, large bowel movements, and etc.  Yes, I have a problem that I can't just eat one piece of candy.  Eating a whole bag of sugar-free candy can lead to a most uncomfortable night.

Also note, Calcium (and I think Iron) supplements tend to be constipating.  Magnesium can act as a laxative, and can counteract some of the negative effects of calcium supplements.

Anyway, aside from some of the disease conditions above, I would encourage monitoring your diet.
  • If you eat large amounts of high fiber foods, especially high fiber breakfast cereals, try something different for a while.
  • Avoid, or cut down on prunes, and similar high fiber fruits.
  • Avoid the sugar-alcohol sugar-substitutes, and sugar-free candy.
  • Avoid cheese or milk in excess.  A little is good.  A lot could be bad
  • Be aware of interactions with vitamins and calcium supplements.
  • If all else fails, perhaps also try a Gluten or Wheat free diet for a short period.  Do this as a trial as the gluten intolerance only affects a small percentage of the population.
Anyway, it is probably true with a lot of things.  A little is good.  Too much is bad.  Keep this in mind with fiber, milk, and etc.

Also, get into a routine with your bowel movements.  Perhaps daily in the mornings when you are getting cleaned up and showering.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Constipation problems
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2012 11:50:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums