The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Planet Ocean ?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Planet Ocean ?
« on: 20/06/2006 23:03:29 »
Greetings All,

Say the Earth had no land at all and was just a big floppy squishy squoshy ball of water...

...what would the middle of it be like ?..would it be an almighty hard piece of super hot water ?

or would the whole planet be an almighty big ice cube which some Sun sized life form would add to a fizzy drink with some lemon ?:)

...could even such a thing exist ?....

I don't know...do you know...

quench my thirst but please don't dilte the answer !! (cringe)

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: Planet Ocean ?
« Reply #1 on: 21/06/2006 03:12:45 »
THIS MAY RELATE TO YOUR QUESTION :)

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2364

Michael

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 21/06/2006 06:51:59 »
Firstly, the lack of iron would mean there would be no magnetic field.

The lack of uranium would mean no geothermal heating, although there would be some initial heating simply due to the compression of the water/ice, but that would long ago have dissipated.

The high albedo of the surface of the Earth would also reflect far more of the Sun's radiation, and so the Earth would be cooler yet.

No geothermal heat would also mean no plate tectonics, and ofcourse, no atmosphere.  The lack of atmosphere, I would guess, would also mean that even if the temperature were warm enough to melt the ice at the surface, all that would happen is the ice would sublime, and the vapour would disappear into space.

Ofcourse, in historic terms, there would also be no moon.  Since the moon is supposed to have happened when a Mars sized object hit the Earth, if the Earth was just an ice ball, then the nature of that impact would have been very different.  Then again, if that Mars sized object was not itself made of ice, then it would have contributed some material to the Earth (as it did), and so the Earth could no longer be just water/ice.

George

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2006 15:53:09 »
Thank you George and thank you Michael for the reference....

So, even if there was an Earth sized water droplet there would be little heat...even in the very middle...I just thought with all that pressure it may be super hot but compressed....

thanks again

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 21/06/2006 15:53:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums