The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: For your free publishing books, you believe that?  (Read 1921 times)

Offline lysine

• First timers
    • View Profile
My friend told me that have a press free for you publish books - Scientific & Academic Publishing(SAP), at first I suspect somewhat, but now his book was published, I have to believe,so I will recommend to you,becasue It provides a good platform for researchers to share information coz it is an open access publisher.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: For your free publishing books, you believe that?
« Reply #1 on: 03/11/2012 22:32:21 »
I haven't had any books published...  but, a publisher SHOULD publish books for free.  Imagine what JK Rowling would say if a publisher demanded that she would pay $5000 up front to publish one of her books.

The sale of the books or articles should pay for the publishing.  The problem is that a publisher may want to cover a minimum order for an unknown author.

100% E-publishing should help alleviate the publishing expense.  There are also supposed to be new mini-binders that can print books on demand.  So, technically one could print and sell one book at a time after the order has come in.  Thus, the on-demand printing would not incur the overhead expense that normal publishing would, and there would be no need for a minimum book order.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2012 00:02:41 »
My friend told me that have a press free for you publish books - Scientific & Academic Publishing(SAP) ...

SAP has bad rep at WOT ... https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/manuscriptsystem.com/comment-48948013#comment-48948013

Vanity publishing ? ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_press

Q2: How much will it cost to publish in SAP?
A2: As our journal is open access to all the readers around the world, we charge the fees for publication to keep operation such as Peer-review, Copyediting, Typesetting and XML mark-up etc.
Author publication charges vary depending on the journals in SAP.
The publication is free in some journals. While the publication fee of some journals is USD$300. Authors from developing countries will be offered discounts on the publication fee.
http://www.sapub.org/journal/faq.aspx?journalid=1091
« Last Edit: 04/11/2012 00:07:00 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 04/11/2012 07:40:15 by CliffordK »

Offline Carina

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2012 02:00:00 »
I know SAP is a relatively recent development in academic publishing, the open access movement proposes a new business model for academic publishing, which is gaining increasing popularity among a lot of scientists and scholars. A study published today in PLoS Biology provides robust evidence that open-access articles are more immediately recognized and cited than non-OA articles.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2012 02:45:38 »
Looking at SAP.

They seem to provide free academic journal article access.
Free publishing?

It sounds like they will have a few growing pains to go through, but the goals sound noble.  The poor reviews I'm seeing is more due to their marketing and customer service.  Important...  but, I'm not seeing a lot of complaints about their journals....  yet.

I find that journal access is a big pain that with many other companies, I can get abstracts for articles...  but to see the full article, they expect me to fork out $20 per article (or so).  Assuming the local university has it, I could spend a half a day going to the university to copy a couple of pages for a few cents...

Anyway, I would like to see more primary source material, but with other publishers, I find myself only seeing abstracts.

So, this idea of free article access sounds like a noble idea.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2012 02:45:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums