The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: MIT - free relativity game  (Read 1351 times)

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
MIT - free relativity game
« on: 13/11/2012 00:45:55 »
http://gamelab.mit.edu/games/a-slower-speed-of-light/

You may have seen a little film many months ago which showed some of the warping visual effects of moving at high speed through space, but now there's a computer game available from MIT which does a similar thing, but slowing down the speed of light until it's no faster than walking speed (though it doesn't slow you down with it in the way that a reduced speed of light would really act - if you did it for real you wouldn't notice any difference but would simply live, move and think in slow motion in an equally slow-motion world). Anyway, it sounds and looks interesting judging by the trailer, and you can download the actual game for free, so it may be fun to try. It's just under 100MB. Assuming my connection holds up for long enough to download this, I'll comment on it again once I've actually tried it out, though previous experience of games suggests that my low-spec machine may only manage two frames per second.

Edit: actually it looks as if I'll have to borrow someone else's machine to run it on, and upgrade it to 2GB of RAM as well, so I'll probably have to put it on the shelf for now, figuratively speaking. At least the download's finished though, so I'll get a go at it some day.

Edit 2: WARNING - if you do try it out, click the little box next to the word "windowed" to run it in a window so that you can shut it down easily. If you don't do this it takes over the whole screen and you probably won't be able to find a way out of it unless you know about the Ctrl+Shift+Esc combination (which brings up the task manager and lets you shut applications down from the outside).
« Last Edit: 14/11/2012 22:20:45 by David Cooper »

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MIT - free relativity game
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2012 14:04:19 »
No Linux version ? :-(

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2012 20:53:15 »
I've tried it on a couple of machines now and all it does is play music to a black screen. Maybe the Mac version's better.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 14/11/2012 20:53:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums