The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Performance variation  (Read 3189 times)

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Performance variation
« on: 20/11/2012 13:23:36 »
I have two computers one regular and one for guests networked together both running windows 8.
The regular one (AMD 3 core) works fine on everything but Facebook with IE10 when scrolling is a pain in the arse although OK with Firefox.
The guest one (INTEL single core) works fine with the same software and even works better than the regular one over the network when accessing Facebook .
Both are no trouble with windows 7 and IE10 that can now be used with Windows 7.
I do not really expect any quick answers this is really just a Cri de Couer !

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Performance variation
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2012 21:19:27 »
I tend to avoid Facebook and Microsoft products as much as possible, so this may be a bit general.

The first thing I typically do for performance issues is:

How much RAM?
Do you hear the Hard Drive churning?
Bring up the Task Manager, and look for CPU usage, and current memory/swap usage.
Also, look for a core that is being used 100% (sometimes showing as steady fraction of the load, 50%, 33%, etc).  That could be an issue with a 3 core CPU.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/11/2012 21:34:21 »
No churning but reloading from the internet when scrolling with the three core machine.
4 Gb of memory on both machines.
There is no problem with the three core machine when I run windows 7 so I am using that until later versions of windows 8 become available as I think the free version that I am experimenting with will run out early in the new year anyway.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2012 23:52:18 »
... The regular one (AMD 3 core) works fine on everything but Facebook with IE10 when scrolling is a pain in the arse although OK with Firefox.

If Firefox has NoScript or Adblockplus addons it won't download adverts, some of which use a lot of CPU and internet bandwidth, (particularly the animated stuff).  This could account for a different performance between browsing via Firefox with addons and Internet Explorer without blocking addons.

When the CPU is busy downloading/processing the adverts it isn't listening to the user input: pressing keys or operating the mouse (e.g. scrolling) can be ignored for a second.

Advert blocking addons are available for IE, ( but I've never tried adding them to IE , I'm happy with Firefox + NoScript + Addblockplus + Ghostery ).

Windows Tip: some sites will only run smoothly if blocking addons are disabled. Firefox can be run in "safe mode" (which does not have addons) by pressing "shift" key when you launch FireFox, then clicking on the "safe mode" button which appears, (no other instances of Firefox should be running when you apply this tip, otherwise a regular non-safe-mode instance of Firefox will be initiated).     
« Last Edit: 20/11/2012 23:54:01 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/11/2012 09:36:33 »
Running NoScript can slow some sites down as they try and fail to run scripts on  your machine.
And, of course, it takes some tinkering to get it to run smoothly on your favorite sites. 

Personally, I tend to turn off all the Facebook scripts, except when I'm actually on Facebook, (which is one of the reasons I also avoid Facebook).

But, I also don't like websites to suddenly take over things like my speakers without permission, which is one reason that I tend to bock a lot of scripts.

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/11/2012 09:42:53 »
Careful editing of toolbar options seems to fix it but maybe it was the bundle of up dates Microsoft sent me yesterday.
One small annoyance remains when I start from cold the time recorded is wrong and I have to tell it to do a time check manually whereas windows 7 picks up the time from the BIOS which is accurate to within a second or two until contact with the server is established while windows 8 shows the time as much as 20 minutes out which is a problem with satellite timing !

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28/11/2012 15:55:32 »
I cannot understand the relevance of the above ! after running  "Wondershare 1-Click PC Care" the clock synchronization problem has cleared up and the system makes no attempt to synchronize until the internet is established.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28/11/2012 17:09:29 »
I cannot understand the relevance of the above ! after running  "Wondershare 1-Click PC Care" the clock synchronization problem has cleared up and the system makes no attempt to synchronize until the internet is established.

syhprum !...........The post you have just responded to I have just deleted . It was gibberish !!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28/11/2012 17:11:24 »
... after running  "Wondershare 1-Click PC Care" the clock synchronization problem has cleared up and the system makes no attempt to synchronize until the internet is established.

I'd try microsoft's own free "fixes" before trying a 3rd party product like "Wondershare 1-Click PC Care"

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Automatically diagnose and repair problems with broken or not working desktop shortcuts and synchronize the system clock when a wrong time is displayed.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/system_maintenance_for_windows/
« Last Edit: 28/11/2012 17:38:51 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28/11/2012 19:13:22 »
Not with windows 8 ! a lot of these third party programs seem to be just sub routines that enable you to apply Microsoft's  settings in a simple way
« Last Edit: 28/11/2012 19:16:20 by syhprum »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29/11/2012 03:35:15 »
« Last Edit: 29/11/2012 03:54:38 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 29/11/2012 03:35:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums