The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Such Differences In the Ripening Of My Tomatoes ?  (Read 2596 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest Tomatoeologusts,

As a sheepy I of course luff tomatoes !! Tomatoes are all I think about from the very second I wake up, throughout the whole day and into the night and then (perchance I sleep)..I dream of them too !..Yep....Out of all the fruits that people think are vegetables, Tomatoes are my all time fave. Tomatoes were invented in 1963 Mrs K.E.T.Chup, so, well done her !!

Take a look at these beauties that I've had growing  !...I picked them some time ago !

Tomatoes That I Picked  Just A Few Minutes Ago !

Nice eh ?

Notice how non ripened most of them are.....but one !! (he's called Clarence) is like...well ripe !!

When I picked them all they were all equally green and they came off the same plant !

So, Why Has Clarence Ripened At Such An Accelerated Rate Compared To The Others ?....Looks like another is turning too ?.....so..again ? Why Such Differences In the Ripening Of My Tomatoes ?

Ewe see, I don't know !....and I really really really want to know cos knowing this will make me appear klevur to chums who have no idea about the ripening of tomatoes and it's quite possible that I may be invited to give an impromptu lecture on the ripening of tomatoes ! (Actually I won't!!..cos most of them don;lt even know what "impromptu" means !!..lol)

hugs and shmishes

mwah mwah mwah

Neil
Ewe say Tomato !
xxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: 28/11/2012 11:17:29 by neilep »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why Such Differences In the Ripening Of My Tomatoes ?
« Reply #1 on: 28/11/2012 12:13:03 »
When I picked them all they were all equally green and they came off the same plant !

Clarence may have been warmer, e.g. at the top of the plant or furthest from the (cold) window.

A gas called ethylene released by ripening fruit triggers ripening in other fruits ...

Ethylene gas is used commercially to ripen tomatoes, bananas, pears, and a few other fruits postharvest. ... Other sources of ethylene include ripening fruit, exhaust from internal combustion engines/heaters, smoke (including cigarettes), welding, rotting vegetation, natural gas leaks ...
http://postharvest.tfrec.wsu.edu/pgDisplay.php?article=PC2000F

So Clarence may have had whiff of something that the others didn't, (e.g. ethylene released by ripe fruit on a neighbouring plant, or released by decomposition in the compost).

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/11/2012 12:43:59 »

Clarence may have been warmer, e.g. at the top of the plant or furthest from the (cold) window.

A gas called ethylene released by ripening fruit triggers ripening in other fruits ...

Ethylene gas is used commercially to ripen tomatoes, bananas, pears, and a few other fruits postharvest. ... Other sources of ethylene include ripening fruit, exhaust from internal combustion engines/heaters, smoke (including cigarettes), welding, rotting vegetation, natural gas leaks ...
http://postharvest.tfrec.wsu.edu/pgDisplay.php?article=PC2000F

So Clarence may have had whiff of something that the others didn't, (e.g. ethylene released by ripe fruit on a neighbouring plant, or released by decomposition in the compost).

Thank ewe very very much RD.

That (as ususal) is great info. .........for the last couple of weeks they have been sitting on the kitchen window sill........Very interesting about ethylene !...I sheepose it's entirely plausible that Clarence has received more than his fair share....greedy !!...Hmmm...I will have to go investigate now !

Thank ewe.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28/11/2012 16:16:28 »
 And I say tomato, (To-MATe-O) lol. You know ..liken," to mate and bare O or offspring)...hee hee hee... that was a good question... heat and ethylene gases. Such as those mentioned above!

IS YOUR KITCHEN RIGHT OFF YOUR GARAGE? OR PERHAPS ITS FROM THE ROTTING SUBSTANCES YOU ARE KNOWN FOR CRAMMING THROUGH YOUR
NEIGHBORS MAIL SLOT? 
   PERHAPS THATS WHERE OUR ASPARAGAS EATING SHEEPY RELEASES HIS AROMATIC ..FUMES OF SHEEPY DIGESTIVE GOODNESS!

DO BE SURE TO LET US KNOW THE FINAL CONCLUSION TO THE SUCCESS OF YOUR RIPENING JOY!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2012 02:26:43 »
Just a suggestion Monsieur La Muton, if you have toms that don't ripen, you should make green tomato chutney. Its yummy with cold meats such as beef, ham, pork, chicken, lam..........................................

Oops, Sorry-pardon.

Take a look on the webby thingy, I'm sure you'll be able to find a recipe.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2012 02:26:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums