The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Must a theory be supported by an equation to be valid?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Dharmansh

• View Profile
Is Equation necessary in theory?Can theory work without equation?Because i have made an theory which dosent have equation can theory work by logic n nt by equation
... ?
« Last Edit: 28/12/2012 15:08:20 by chris »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Theory
« Reply #1 on: 29/11/2012 15:55:29 »
If it's a new theory, it needs to make testable predictions in order to be useful science.  In particular, it has to make predictions that disagree with existing theories in some cases so that we can decide whether to scrap our current theories and adopt a new one by running experiments or observing the world.  It also has to make predictions that agree with existing theories in the cases where we know they work well. 

These predictions don't have to strictly be equations, but generally the predictions have to be pretty concrete in order to be testable.

If you're looking to develop a new theory, we have a section of the forum for that (its called New Theories), and you're more than welcome to post it there for discussion.  However, that isn't the main purpose of this forum, so if you're looking for a lot of interaction and discussion of your theory, I'd also suggest bringing it to a forum where new theories are more central to their purpose.

Offline simplified

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/11/2012 16:13:03 »
Is Equation necessary in theory?Can theory work without equation?Because i have made an theory which dosent have equation can theory work by logic n nt by equation
... ?
Theory of evolution works without equation.Only especial genius can create such theory in physics.If you are not genius then you may place your theory in "New Theories".Like it http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=43044.0
« Last Edit: 30/11/2012 02:39:34 by simplified »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2012 17:40:32 »
If your theory meets the requirements of predicting concrete results, you should attempt to publish it in a scientific journal or submit it to arXiv.org

Scientists don't copyright their theories (they can patent inventions, however).  The general way science works is that if you publish your theory in a respected source, you get cited when others use it in their work.  The trick is getting published, since just about anyone can come up with new ideas--to justify publication your theory has to be relevant to the field and make concrete predictions that can be tested.

If you don't have equations in a physics paper, however, I suspect you'll have serious problems getting it published.  It's extremely hard to make rigorous, testable predictions in physics without equations.  And it's extremely hard to prove your theory agrees with previous observations without equations.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30/11/2012 09:48:01 »
If a theory depends on logic, then there is a way you can represent logic in equations too.
Logic is considered a branch of mathematics, rather than physics.

Offline simplified

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/11/2012 12:15:33 »
But i am not good in Mathematics as well as Physics....so what should i do?

Then only logic is your mate.

Offline Naufal the B. S.

• View Profile
Re: Must a theory be supported by an equation to be valid?
« Reply #6 on: 30/12/2012 10:46:08 »
... ?
generally it depends on what field the theory works. i think many theories in biology works until now without equations, like theory of evolution.

Offline Dharmansh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17/01/2013 09:40:12 »
... ?
generally it depends on what field the theory works. i think many theories in biology works until now without equations, like theory of evolution.

Its on Black Hole

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
« Reply #8 on: 17/01/2013 23:04:59 »
Sometimes thought experiments can be used to demonstrate the basis for a theory without invoking math. Look at Einstein's "train thought experiment", for example. That can be used to demonstrate the relativity of simultaneity when it is assumed that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

Cell theory also does not need math to be tested.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 17/01/2013 23:04:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums