The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Motzart and Mental Agility !  (Read 11513 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Motzart and Mental Agility !
« Reply #25 on: 02/07/2006 15:37:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.

Neil you are remarkable friend,

Hey Neil, Do you own an old fashion record player?

Yes Mam (notice how I also kept the bit where you say I'm remarkable ?):D

Actually, YES...I also have a good old fashioned record player...though I did not pay a good old fashioned price for it !!

There's a whole bunch of people out there who think vinyl, (which is an analogue technology...you have a physical needle in a physical groove)...portrays a far more natural smooth and warm sound....it's true, it does...but I mostly am a CD fan...but with a huge number of records too I could not bear to be without a way to play them !!

Fortunately my cd and amplifier have valves in them and this helps to give an analogue feel to the music....

Karen...come on over and I'll play you some music ok ?..

good...I'll put the kettle on

:D

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02/07/2006 17:16:11 »
Hey Neil, I will be there soon. You know how dreams are! So I will close my eyes and you pick the album. I,ll try to hear it friend! Kettle of nice hot tea sounds lovely! hmmmm! Relaxing!  I wish I could friend! I do have some old vinyles you might like. I have tons of old records of which I love! I will gather  a bunch and see what would be involved in packaging a few at a time to mail you! They are pretty heavy, especially the 78's.

Some day friend you and I are going to meet. I feel like I have known you since I was a kid! You are so much like me it's scary! We would be best buds!
   Say hi to family .....Karen

Offline kittykat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03/07/2006 04:01:26 »
Just to add my two cents worth... not that you asked for it, but I'm giving it to you anyway :D  I too have an old record palyer - two in fact - one that connects to my hifi, and a classic old Pye, original condition, it gets a bit stuck every now and then, and I sometimes have to lube it up before the turn table will actually spin, but when it goes, it GOES!!! AS well as having a decent collection of vinyls I also have a few slates... weigh a lot, but they feel, look and sound really special.

And yes Neil - I love being a Audiophile, but most of my friends think I'm weird - all the girls I know look at me like I've been hit on the head, and all the guys wonder if I'm actually a boy hiding in a girls body :(

~ Flow Girl ~

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03/07/2006 04:19:27 »
Wow katherine ...slates too !!...good on ya !:)

When I owned my stores it was always refreshing to have female audiophiles in the store....it was a rare pleasure !

I am not surprised at all that your friends think you are weird....you are most certainly a rare breed ...amongst  a breed that is already rare.:)

Keep on enjoying your music......well...I know you will....:)

Offline kittykat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03/07/2006 06:56:21 »
Ooooo... you used to own stores?  Wish I had have known you then! :D  I'd have flown over to pop into your shop... I am assuming you owned an independent?  I prefer independent stores to big chains (having said that, big chains can be good for a special every now and then).  My biggest grumble is how few SACDs and DVD-a are kept in stock.  I am very disappointed at the luke warm response to these in the general market.  Without the demand, there is little need to cater for the few that do want it.  here in Oz, I buy almost all of my SACDs from amazon.co.uk, (or browse for them on international sites, then get my favourite local guy to order them in for me), there just isn't enough interest in the general public for the average store to bother getting them in, cos when they do they just can't shift 'em! :(

And yes, I know about the rare breed thing - I learnt my habit from my dad, and have since met a couple of other audiophiles, but they are all males, and all my dad's age, being a female, mid 20's audiophile is like being a female firefighter... not common!

~ Flow Girl ~

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03/07/2006 13:28:25 »
Yep, I owned a couple of independent stores, one in North London, the other in central London we had demonstration rooms for Hi Fi & Home cinema. I did it for seven years but it was getting too much for me...despite the love of music and the equipment , I was bringing too much work home with me. (admin)..and doing an installation up until midnight was not conducive to a happy household !!...so..ten months ago , I sold up !

Unfortunately, SACD and DVDA I think will always remain an elite format....who on Earth would want to replace their already substantial cd collection for yet another format ?..I know I wouldn't...yet..SACD does sound absolutely amazing....but....with up sampling technologies they can almost make an original CD sound as good...though...........well...it's not really...but close ! The difference is quite clear...yet subtle when you change from one layer to another in a machine where the capability exists to choose the CD or SACD layer...it is most definitely an ear opener !!!

It's a shame...I really never had any doubt that those formats were going to remain elite.....even more so with people now investing in MP3 only based systems...it seems the humble CD may even eventually become an elitist format.

You most certainly are rarer than a female firefighter....you're a godammn oddity !! :D ....but a breath of fresh air....we always used to fight to serve the girly customers !!:D....well...part from one of my staff cos he was gay !! :D

There are plenty of Audio forums out there !..I don't frequent them anymore but I wonder if there are any Oz ones...have you looked ?...but if you find one....don't leave this place eh ? ;)

another_someone

« Reply #31 on: 03/07/2006 18:30:11 »
Only on one occasion did I have cause to hear SACD, and yes, it was amazing, but alas we have a marketplace that is happy to downgrade from CD to MP3, so clearly have too little concern for the likes of SACD.

The only other question is whether the move towards downloadable music and broadband connections capable of video download, it may create the possibility of addressing narrow markets such as super audio quality.  At present, the downloadable market is being driven by the latest teenage fashion, with little regard for quality; but given the low overheads and low distribution costs, it should be possible to address niche markets as easily.

I do not class myself as an audiophile, despite the fact that I can hear the quality.  Apart from the fact that I no longer have the budget to spend on ever better equipment (most of my stuff is circa 1975-1985), but I don't really listen to music that much it is usually just background.  I suppose I am just not capable of sitting still that long to listen through a piece of music, and not do anything else at the same time.

George

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04/07/2006 04:30:51 »
anoth_someone, maybe you know more about this than me, but isnt a 320kbps mp3 the exact quality of a standard CD? not that all mp3s are this quality; most are 128. i can hear the difference and its awful. all of my mp3s came from CDs, and i was informed 320 is the same as cd and it sounds as good to me, and takes up less room.

another_someone

« Reply #33 on: 04/07/2006 04:53:54 »
I haven't actually played around with MP3 I have just avoided it.

The fact is that MP3 is a lossy compression algorithm.  In theory you can reduce the compression rate to such a low rate that it simply does almost no compression, in which case why bother compressing it at all; or you compress the signal, and lose quality.  I cannot see there is a third choice with MP3.

Clearly, there will be a close correlation between how much compression you do, and how much quality you lose; and you may find a compromise that you consider acceptable, but I cannot see that a lossy compression algorithm can ever compress without losing quality (on the other hand, a lossless compression algorithm would never be able to compress as aggressively as a lossy compression algorithm).

George

Offline kittykat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04/07/2006 08:14:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Yep, I owned a couple of independent stores, one in North London, the other in central London we had demonstration rooms for Hi Fi & Home cinema. I did it for seven years but it was getting too much for me...despite the love of music and the equipment , I was bringing too much work home with me. (admin)..and doing an installation up until midnight was not conducive to a happy household !!...so..ten months ago , I sold up !

Unfortunately, SACD and DVDA I think will always remain an elite format....who on Earth would want to replace their already substantial cd collection for yet another format ?..I know I wouldn't...yet..SACD does sound absolutely amazing....but....with up sampling technologies they can almost make an original CD sound as good...though...........well...it's not really...but close ! The difference is quite clear...yet subtle when you change from one layer to another in a machine where the capability exists to choose the CD or SACD layer...it is most definitely an ear opener !!!

It's a shame...I really never had any doubt that those formats were going to remain elite.....even more so with people now investing in MP3 only based systems...it seems the humble CD may even eventually become an elitist format.

Gecko - what another someone says is right - but there is a trade off point.  You have to decide what is more important to you - quality or quantity.  As far as my MP3 collection is concerned I don't rip them at 320kbps, as there would be no space saving in that, the MP3 that result at this compression are almost equivalent to the original files from the CD.  On the other hand I find 128 too low, you need to experiment around - not everybody can detect changes in audio quality.  In order for me to maximise the number of tracks I have on my portable MP3 player (30Gb) I rip at 192kbps.  The average Joe Bloggs wouldn't notice a major difference between that and CD quality, and certainly would be happy enough listening to the music.  I can hear the difference at that compression, but most of my friends cannot. As my Zen is usually for when I am working/driving/walking etc, I find that I usually sing along with it and drown out (and no doubt worsen!) the audio imperfections that have arisen so I've opted for this compression to get more songs on.

Neil - I think you are right about SACD/DVD-a, which is a HUGE tragedy - and as you and AS commented, it is likely that CD's and SACD etc will head the way of vinyls in the not too distant future and the majority of the music market will be downloaded.  A HUGE tragedy. :(

I LOVE my SACD player - I admit, it gets a lot of use when I am doing other things too, and so I don't get the full impact when I'm not in "the hot zone" in my living room, but I love sunday afternoons, and late nights just chilling on my couch with a different CD.  I bought a fabulous SACD from Amazon.co.uk the other day - please tell me you've had a chance to listen to Ladysmith Black Mambazo's "Long Walk to Freedom" in multichannel?  It is without a doubt the best disc in my collection!  You can hear different singers and different vocal sound effects popping out from different speakers and it is just stunning - if you close your eyes it really feels like you are standing on a stage surrounded by these guys with the most amazing voices.  I use it as my demo disc - I am doing my bit to try to convert as many people as possible to the wonderful world of SACD (hoping that an increase in demand will yield an increase in supply - possibly wishful thinking, but in the meantime, it's a good excuse to whip out a fabulous disc and stun some of my friends.) :D

quote:
Originally posted by neilep

You most certainly are rarer than a female firefighter....you're a godammn oddity !! :D ....but a breath of fresh air....we always used to fight to serve the girly customers !!:D....well...part from one of my staff cos he was gay !! :D

There are plenty of Audio forums out there !..I don't frequent them anymore but I wonder if there are any Oz ones...have you looked ?...but if you find one....don't leave this place eh ? ;)

Hmm..... that would explain why there were two guys simultaneously trying to sell me the same subwoofer the other day!

No, I'm not on any audio forums (so I won't be leaving here any time soon - and I think that an addiction to 3 forums is more than enough for moi!)  I like being able to listen and discuss with friends, so I can often be found on the couch with my audiophile friends gasbagging about the fabulous amp we saw the other day, or the new SACD releases that we've found [:I]  Perhaps when I finish my PhD I'll find the time for another addictive forum? ;) (as it is my justification for this one is that it is science based! we'll politely ignore that fact that I've yet to post anything in the board that relates closest to my studies [:p] )

~ Flow Girl ~

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04/07/2006 14:38:04 »
Hi Katherine,:)

Oh yes !! Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Long Walk To Freedom...is very impressive...I've only heard it in multichannel a couple of times and it quite extraordinary..........in fact all stuff by Ladysmith Black Mambazo is awesome...the resonance and substance in those voices really does put you in the audio picture.

Admittedly, I just have a dedicated two channel set up......I do have home cinema too and sometimes this doubles up as surround sound audio but it's very basic.

I have to say I'm primarily a two channel man and with the right set up and placement of speakers etc...one can create an air of three dimensionality with it....plus..I've invested a **** load into my speakers and I always felt that adding others to create a surround sound stage would belittle them somehow !!...silly I know !!!

...and I don't have an SACD player either....I think it's because I wanted to alleviate the frustration of wanting to replace all my music with SACD's.:D

Oh..I also record MP3 at 192kpbs....through a reasonable pair of headphones it's very acceptable :)

I used to think that the only plus side to downloading MP3 was that it may encourage people to buy the CD , it does me because I have to own the original :)...but in reality..I think it encourages people to burn their own cd's ..not buy them :(...ho hum !!

:)

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04/07/2006 20:30:57 »
i had assumed that making mp3s out of CD files, naturally compresses them... but youre right, if the quality is kept the same, then no compression has taken place.

even so i still convert all mp3s at 320 because im more concerned about quality. 256 sounds the same to me, but i figure if im that close to original it might as well stay the same. my intention with the mp3 player(which was a gift in the first place) was not to save digital space, but instead actual space, as i dont have to lug around a spindle of CDs, worry about them getting scratched and skipping, lost, etc. many of my CDs that had been scrathced to the point i cant use them(which is my fault) can be saved with the right ripping program and are less likely to become damaged as mp3s.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04/07/2006 20:45:12 »
Hi Gecko,

How ya doing ?...sorry for misunderstanding you in the original post.

There's no doubt it about it..MP3s are great for portability and no jitter at all , unlike Cd players of course which are large and cumbersome.

I too have am MP3 player...it was also a gift and it is in fact quite surprising how good it is.

It's mainly noticeable when I hook it up to my main Hi Fi...there is a marked deterioration in the ' substance ' of the sound..

Enjoy your MP3.....I do...I gather you can also use them as a portable hard disk,,though I've never tried that yet.

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #38 on: 05/07/2006 04:45:56 »
Head is spinning with the excitement of hi fi equipment...wish I had a better system...?  One can only wish...love all types of instruments!  Music makes a difference on what you listen to i don't care what anyone says...i used to work in audio for barney...and learned bunches...like even in my car i have to have at least 4 speakers prefer 6-8...but it is a car...learned a bunch from a sound engineer...he was awesome!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05/07/2006 12:48:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by moonfire

Head is spinning with the excitement of hi fi equipment...wish I had a better system...?  One can only wish...love all types of instruments!  Music makes a difference on what you listen to i don't care what anyone says...i used to work in audio for barney...and learned bunches...like even in my car i have to have at least 4 speakers prefer 6-8...but it is a car...learned a bunch from a sound engineer...he was awesome!

"Lo" Loretta

Do you mean to say you worked for a big purple dancing dinosaur ?....

I always wondered who the person was inside the costume...now I know !!!..:D

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #40 on: 06/07/2006 04:01:42 »
lol  no silly...there were 5 of them and the tv series and the one who toured around Europe was awesome!  Great guys all of them really...but these two I knew the best...you are so crazy!  lol

"Lo" Loretta

Offline direkrico

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15/07/2006 18:40:10 »
they are talking about the golden ratio of classical music...

eagertolearn

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15/07/2006 22:23:30 »
Imagine waking up in a Barney world where rain was lemon drops and orange drops. How long before all the vegetation on the planet was gone?  :D[^]:D

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline thebrain13

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 16/07/2006 04:23:57 »
Ive noticed, there is deffinantly something different about mozart music. It just flows, It works, I dont know, I cant really put my finger on it. If I heard mozart, and I never heard the song before, I would know it was him. I dont know how, but I would. Even when I was little, I knew there was something special about it. Something that seperates him from all the others of his era. Its the only classical music I like.

Offline Lynda

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 16/07/2006 20:15:51 »
I heard once that music requires concentration to perform.   If you make a mistake people know about it!   The increased ability to concentrate will benefit other activities - such us working out maths or whatever.[8D]

LYNDA

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #44 on: 16/07/2006 20:15:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums