The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Drug Agent That Promotes Aggression and Detachment?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
Is there a drug that promotes aggression and detachment that has a short time duration?  Within the time of my search on google the only drug that seemed a likely candidate was PCP, but it is longer lasting than what I am looking for.  Can you also give me some -likely- side effects of the drug you choose, thank you.

-This is for writing purpose only, not use-

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Drug Agent That Promotes Aggression and Detachment?
« Reply #1 on: 08/12/2012 08:49:18 »
What about a dose of natural hormones such as adrenalin (epinephrine)?  Or perhaps Testosterone. 

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/12/2012 10:51:13 »
"Bath Salts", apparently it causes a serious case of "the munchies".  :)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/12/2012 12:21:37 »
Keep in mind that drugs may affect each person differently.

Alcohol can also dull the mind, and fuel rage.  And, is relatively short-lived.  For your sci-Fi book...  a synthetic alcohol clone?  Something that would target the same receptors?

Another option to consider would be intra-arterial drug delivery.  One could be extremely selective with the target selection.  For example, a neuro-inhibitor could be used to induce a very focal, but temporary frontal lobe lesion that might reduce natural inhibitions.  The advantage of an intra-arterial dose is that the systemic dose could be extremely low, so that the effects could potentially go away as soon as the drug delivery is stopped.

There are also implantable intra-arterial pumps which could potentially allow one to essentially turn on and turn off the effects almost like a light switch.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/12/2012 22:36:39 »
Some very quick and interesting suggestions, but I've been giving it a bit more thought and what about a drug that represses the super ego and ego?  Something that brings out a person's inner self and/or id?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 09/12/2012 09:04:20 by RD »

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09/12/2012 21:38:37 »
Interesting read!  Another turn in conversation though xD...  Is there any medication that is used for explosive behaviors and to calm someone down.  The first thing that came to my mind from watch television would be sedatives, but my mind only thinks of putting someone to sleep with such a method.  Is there another kind of medication that will calm someone down if they are in a rage?  If not, then have we identified what hormone or chemical combination creates anger?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09/12/2012 22:09:32 »
... Is there any medication that is used for explosive behaviors and to calm someone down.

According to the evidence and practice antipsychotics are becoming antidepressants, anti-anxiety drugs, mood stabilizers, cognitive enhancers, anti-aggressive, anti-impulsive, anti-suicidal and hypnotic medications.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18000487

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipsychotic
« Last Edit: 09/12/2012 22:14:47 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09/12/2012 22:10:01 »
For "explosive behavior", you might look at some of the mental diseases.  For example bipolar disorder has a manic phase. 

Sedatives might be one treatment, but there are several anti-psychotics that can be used for mood stabilization.  For example Lithium is an older medication often used for mood stabilization with mania and severe cases of bipolar disorder.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09/12/2012 22:22:12 »
If we're verging on science-fiction what about transcranial magnetic stimulation to switch emotions on or off.

Offline Voxx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13/12/2012 16:25:36 »
Love the input you guys are giving me, thank you!  I will go over some of your suggestions when I have a bit more time.

In my book the character has the following characteristics if you can think of anything off the top of your head.

Ability:  Esper
Ability Type:  Combination of Telepathy and a form of Telekinesis
  • Telekinesis - Every user of telekinesis has to have some basis or form behind their ability to say lift an object.  That can be accomplished by say bending light (most commonly).  This girl however uses the energy in-between alternate worlds as a focal point for her ability.  It is very unstable and her abilities are amplified by her emotional status.
    Calm = High ability in Telepathy
    Hatred/Anger = High ability in her control of this substance.
Intelligence:  Extremely High (being an Esper).
Mood:  I guess you could call her extremely bi-polar, but she isn't at all depressed.  She is either calm, methodical, and collected; or in an extreme hot frenzied rage in violent bursts.  She can flip very quickly from either side and needs to use some kind of quick release system to ease her temper.  It needs to be within a safe standard, but have a limited number of uses before being ineffective.  That would mean that if she is continued to be pestered or irritated by this source, she will continue to have to take this chill pill or whatever two to three times before she cracks.
Damage: This substance is extremely dangerous and very unstable, so the amount of damage is extensive.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15/12/2012 19:03:11 »
Here's one. Adrenalin. People are given a shot of adrenalin to counter act severe allergic reactions, but they have to be warned ahead of time that it triggers "the flight or fight response" and they may experience something like extreme anxiety or even aggression. Some patients have been known to run out of the room. One person who described this experience was actually a doctor himself. The injection had been misdirected and got into a vein. Even though he knew what was happening to him and why, he said it was all he could do to stay in his chair and not punch someone.
« Last Edit: 15/12/2012 19:11:35 by cheryl j »

Offline Raziel

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17/12/2012 22:10:04 »
any relaxing dissociative. particularly ketamine for dissolving rage. although it should be used under supervision in this case.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 17/12/2012 22:10:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums