The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do people who were born blind have knowledge about colors?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline skaar

• First timers
    • View Profile
This was a topic at my sociology class this week. My teacher told me that people who were born blind could explain colors just like we do. Then I asked her to 'explain' the color green without referring to objects. She didn't say a word  :P . Now what do you guys think? Can a blind person know colors?

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
This was a topic at my sociology class this week. My teacher told me that people who were born blind could explain colors just like we do. Then I asked her to 'explain' the color green without referring to objects. She didn't say a word  :P . Now what do you guys think? Can a blind person know colors?
I read an article in which a study was done on this phenomenon and this conclusion was made.  Some blind individuals still retain the ability to recognize different wave lengths of light even though they cannot distinguish form or shape. 

Offline Supercryptid

• View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/Trunko
That depends. Are we talking completely blind, legally blind or "blindsight"-capable blind? There are important differences between those concepts.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
At my work, I spoke with a blind man who could speak of light and colours as a hypothetical concept.

What made this conversation more unusual is that vision is very much embedded in our daily language - for example, when we understand something, we often say "I see!". These normal expressions were a bit jarring coming from him...

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums