The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is this a perpetual motion machine?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline thinhnghiem

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is this a perpetual motion machine?
« on: 18/12/2012 03:34:29 »
Dears,

I am investigating a way to make an engine that can run continuously. Currently, my result is so positive.

1. Tools and facilities:
- The main component of this model is a wooden toy with dragonfly shape. Its head is a rectangle which is curved upward, with long tail
- A sharp pillar
- A medium sizes magnet (In attached screenshot it is the round and black piece)
- A tiny magnet

2. Model
- Stick the tiny magnet under the tail of dragonfly shaped specimen. The gravity of magnet makes this specimen settles down toward the tail.
- Then, touch the sharp peak of the rectangle head of the specimen very slightly into the top of the pillar. It makes the balance status of this dragonfly toy is very unstable. It is very easy to drop down as seen in attached screenshot
- Put the medium sized magnet at the base of the pillar so that its upward pole is the same as the downward pole of the tiny one (i.e. south to south, or north to north), and they are face to face as shown in attached screenshot
- Keep the whole system in an insolated room, with all doors and windows are closed to prevent air wing influence.

3. Operation:
- The attraction force between 2 magnets makes the tail of the specimen is pulled down slightly, before it is up again. Then a new period starts with the up and down movement of the specimen tail, again and again etc.
- The position of the medium sized magnet is adjustable so that it can give best result to the movement of the specimen. If the distance between magnets is so far, the force intensity is so weak to result in movement. Otherwise, the strong attraction force from the medium sized will also prevent the specimen from moving.

I let my model there overnight to make sure that there is no stopping. And luckily it does not stop until now.

I post my article here so that any interesting individual can follow and replicate my experiments.

All of my expectation that you can contact me and replicate my experiment

Thinh from Vietnam
« Last Edit: 19/12/2012 15:07:28 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Non-stop engine
« Reply #1 on: 18/12/2012 06:05:20 »
Interesting device.  As far as I can tell, you've reached some kind of an unstable balance point.

I would suggest finding something that you can put over the top of your dragon fly to isolate it from air and wind, such as an upside-down fish tank, or clear plastic storage tub, or glass bowl if large enough.  Then, see if it still bobs up and down.  Also be careful of vibration sources.

Offline thinhnghiem

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/12/2012 04:13:17 »
Hi CliffordK,

I have put the whole model in an isolated room, with door and windows closed. And I also make the second as your suggestion. It got the same result.

My concern is that the amplitude of the tail swinging is so small that it's hard for me to convince people. And until now I don't know how to increase

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/12/2012 13:19:48 »
Looks similar to a magnetic pendulum ...
t=3m13s

The magnet's don't power the movement, in fact a pendulum of the same size & weight would swing for longer without the magnets, ( they function like a brake ).

- Keep the whole system in an insolated room, with all doors and windows are closed to prevent air wing influence.

Even in an air-tight room there will be currents of air if the entire room is not at a uniform temperature, such air currents could be sufficient to cause your winged apparatus to move.

... successful isolated system perpetual motion devices are physically impossible ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
« Last Edit: 19/12/2012 14:22:31 by RD »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a perpetual motion machine?
« Reply #4 on: 19/12/2012 17:14:36 »
 Is this a perpetual motion machine?
No.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/12/2012 17:24:45 »
Please don't copy/paste content to this forum that has been posted elsewhere.
Mod

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 19/12/2012 17:24:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length