The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Problem with interface  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Pmb

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physicist
    • View Profile
    • New England Science Constortium
Problem with interface
« on: 30/12/2012 04:44:47 »
Can someone help me with the problem I'm having with the nakedscientist website graphics interface? Where there are supposed to be  icons there are red crosses in otherwise empty squares. Then the editor is messed up. Typing words doesn't wrap around, it just trails off to the right and the web page goes to the left as if the text box is really long. What's going on??

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with interface
« Reply #1 on: 30/12/2012 05:14:02 »
I think Windows uses the red squares to indicate graphics that don't fully load.
I haven't experienced the problems with TNS.  Are you still having it?  Perhaps there was a short slowdown.
Is it happening on other websites?
Did you refresh?
Perhaps the editor didn't fully load.

Could you have disabled JAVA, or installed a JAVA blocking program such as NoScript?
Actually, TNS seems to work reasonably well with NoScript blocking it, although I seem to loose the emoticons, and superscript/subscript shortcuts.

It may be possible to disable graphics (for all websites) with Explorer, or you might get odd results if you suddenly set TNS as "untrusted".

Since I don't have Windows Explorer loaded on my computer, I do 99% of my we surfing with Firefox, and 1% with Konqueror.  Anyway, you might test a different browser which might help you locate personal config problems.

Firefox also has built-in spell checking.  A bit annoying because it seems to prefer words like neighbour over simply neighbor.  :P   However, the Firefox spell checker works well with TNS.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/12/2012 06:08:37 »
I think Windows uses the red squares to indicate graphics that don't fully load.

If refreshing the page doesn't cure the problem try clearing your browser's cache : if the cache is almost full the browser stops downloading images in webpages because they use a lot of memory, and puts a red X where the image should have been displayed. If a full browser cache is the problem it would not be website specific.

If the red cross problem is specific to one website try the compatibility setting on IE ...
If this happens only on a specific website
Turn on Compatibility View
On the address bar, click the Compatibility View button.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807

Firefox also has built-in spell checking.  A bit annoying because it seems to prefer words like neighbour over simply neighbor.  :P   However, the Firefox spell checker works well with TNS.

Firefox spellchecker uses Americaneese by default but you can upgrade to proper English :) ...

« Last Edit: 30/12/2012 06:24:12 by RD »

Offline Mazurka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2013 16:15:52 »
I recently had exactly the same problem (using IE8) only with TNS website
Fixed  by clicking on the compatibility view (half way down the tools menu)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 07/01/2013 16:15:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums