The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Shocking.... Or not  (Read 3334 times)

Offline blackibanez

  • First timers
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Shocking.... Or not
« on: 04/01/2013 04:54:42 »
Two years ago we put an electric fence up in our back yard for a couple of ponies we own.  Upon setting it up I found that my mother and I do not get electrocuted by it.  Any one else who touches it does.  We can hold onto it and even "chain" together with no effect, but as soon as someone else touches us we feel it go through us and shock the end person.  I have not been able to find a thing about this online or anywhere and was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on our weird ability. 



 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8128
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
Re: Shocking.... Or not
« Reply #1 on: 04/01/2013 07:38:06 »
Insulating boots, (e.g. rubber wellies), could prevent you from getting an electric shock from the fence ...
t=4m2s
 

Offline CliffordK

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 6321
  • Thanked: 3 times
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Shocking.... Or not
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2013 00:41:44 »
So, the proof would be to go out barefoot with the morning dew still on the ground, and then touch the fence (assuming the fence isn't grounded out).

It is possible that different people would have different tolerances to electric shock, although most electric fence wires are at high enough of voltage (low amps) to be quite annoying.

All new electric fences are intermittent to help prevent muscles from contracting and locking on the wires.  However, a quick touch may not always result in a shock.
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Shocking.... Or not
« Reply #2 on: 09/01/2013 00:41:44 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums
 
Login
Login with username, password and session length