The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Math Question  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Bill Alsept

• First timers
    • View Profile
Math Question
« on: 08/01/2013 05:58:25 »
Can anyone help direct me to a form of math or even a calculator if possible for working with spheres and vectors? I am specifically interested in the outcome of vectors penetrating a sphere, varying from 0%  penetration through the center to 100% at the edge. Based on densities and distances through.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Math Question
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/2013 07:26:53 »
If it was penetration of a beam of light*, the intensity falls off logarithmically  ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer%E2%80%93Lambert_law

[ * normal incidence ]
« Last Edit: 08/01/2013 07:31:49 by RD »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08/01/2013 08:42:30 »
Can you clarify what you want to do?

"Spheres and Vectors" could imply that you want to calculate the mathematics of Optics, Billiards and/or the Solar System, but the mathematics of each is quite different.

Offline Bill Alsept

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2013 09:41:29 »
I wanted to calculate the strength of vectors after they penetrate completely through a sphere and converge onto a single point. The vectors will vary in strength after passing through because of varying densities and length of passing but the vector at the center is always 0% and the vectors at the edges are all 100%. All other vectors missing the sphere and converging on the point will be considered separate and part of the overall. I'm sure I'm not being clear enough but if you have any suggestions I would appreciate. Thanks

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 08/01/2013 09:41:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length